Research Assistant II
JBS is searching for a Research Assistant II for our Burlingame, California office. The Research Assistant II (RA II) will support research and evaluation activities for community service programs funded by the Corporation for National and Community Service, a federal agency, and other projects as they arise. The right candidate will have an opportunity to deepen their understanding of survey research, quantitative and qualitative analysis and develop an understanding of research and evaluation.
The RA II will support data collection efforts, data management, project coordination, statistical analysis, report writing and presentation. The RA II will monitor timelines and schedules for data collection efforts, prepare data for analysis, conduct data analysis, and prepare tables and graphs for reports and presentations; retrieve documents, literature, and data for reports, memos and presentations; assist with the preparation and distribution of publications which may include design, layout, and copy-editing presentations or other printed materials. Tasks may also include providing support for maintaining and monitoring project work plans, attending and preparing project meeting notes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Support Data Collection Efforts
• Monitor survey administration.
• Organize survey administration timeline and schedules using Microsoft Access.
• Contact survey participants to verify and correct data on data collection instruments.
• Carry out phone interviews to collect data.
• Enter and code data from completed questionnaires into Access, or other Computer-assisted Telephone Interviewing (CATI) system.
• Record survey participant data in MS Access database, and track participant completion status in Access or other CATI system.
• Collect and organize data from federal and other sources.
• Review questionnaires for completeness and quality.
• Check entered data for accuracy.
• When necessary, run Access queries in response to data information requests.
• With the oversight of the Project Director, coordinate and oversee the maintenance of data dictionaries (files and codebooks), reviewing their completeness and accuracy.
• Organize and provide logistical support for qualitative (e.g., interviews and focus groups) data administration timeline and schedules
• With oversight of the Project Director or senior staff code qualitative data, and check coded data for accuracy
• Enter/import data from multiple sources into MS Access databases and Excel spreadsheets.
• Create brief summaries of technical reports and documents for entry into project databases.
• Conversion of Excel databases into other data formats such as SAS.
• Data cleaning, formatting, labeling, and archiving.
• Prepare datasets for complex statistical analysis (e.g. meta-analysis; multi-level models; longitudinal data analysis)
• Prepare qualitative data for analysis
• Maintain project records and documentation.
• Attend and prepare meeting notes.
• Provide support on data analysis activities which may include cross-tabulations, the preparation of graphs, charts, and PowerPoint presentations for clearance and distribution.
• Assist with data analysis including running or overseeing routine data checks.
• With oversight of Project Director, develop and maintain accurate and up to date data files and perform basic descriptive analysis as needed for other projects.
• Create tables and graphs (in Excel and/or PowerPoint) for reports and presentations as needed.
• Retrieve and compile documents, literature, resources, and data for statistical and other methodological memos, reports and presentations.
• Assist with the preparation and distribution of methodological memos, methodological reports and other documents.
• Assist with the preparation and distribution of publications, which may include basic design, layout, and copy-editing presentations or other printed materials.
Assist in Other Project Services as Necessary
• When necessary, run SAS programs, MS Access queries, or generate basic descriptive analysis in response to data information requests.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Sociology, Statistics, Education, Community Psychology, Social Sciences or a similar field
Language: English fluency (oral and written)
Experience: A minimum of 2 years working in an office environment or in a research institution. A minimum of 1 year of experience conducting analysis in SAS, Stata, or R (one year of statistical courses in college using SAS, Stata or R is acceptable in lieu of work experience using those software programs).
Knowledge: Familiarity with survey methods.
Skills: Demonstrates strong attention to detail; well organized; can determine priority of assigned tasks with minimal guidance and can manage time to ensure tasks are completed on time and at the expected level of quality. Works well with others in a positive, courteous, and professional manner; functions well as a member of a team and can also work independently and without extensive supervision. Can handle multiple tasks at various stages and has the flexibility needed to adjust to last-minute requests for information and changing priorities or procedures. Takes initiative; asks questions when appropriate to do so. Takes a proactive approach to problem solving. Is verbally articulate and clear in oral and written communication. Anticipates potential project risks and implements plans to avoid them.
Software Proficiency: Microsoft Office Suite (e.g. Excel, Access, Word, PowerPoint). Experience with SAS, Stata or R. Familiarity with SurveyMonkey, SurveyGizmo or other online survey services.
Location: Must be be able to report to our Burlingame, CA office.
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience: Experience conducting qualitative data collection (e.g., interviews or focus groups)
Knowledge: Familiarity with qualitative data collection. Familiarity with and basic knowledge of non-profits and foundations, community service programs and volunteerism a plus.
Software Proficiency: Database development and management using MS Access or other tools and/or familiarity with SQL. Familiarity with qualitative data collection.
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.