Business (Contracts Professional) Internship
Bechtel Plant Machinery, Inc. (BPMI) is seeking a business (contracts professional) co-op to begin the first rotation in January 2021. A co-op allows a current college student an opportunity to gain hands-on experience as part of their education program.
Are you a college sophomore studying business? If you’re interested in gaining valuable career training working with professionals in your industry, consider applying for BPMI’s Co-op Program! The BPMI Co-op Program gives participants the opportunity to work in their field of study while simultaneously pursuing their bachelor’s degree. Co-op participation enhances a student’s academic training, gives them a better understanding of BPMI and the Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program, and generally results in full-time employment upon completion of the program. BPMI co-op participants will begin work at BPMI in the spring of 2021 during their junior year, and ideally continue to work through the summer.
What You Can Expect:
Close Mentoring - Participants are assigned a sponsor during your co-op at BPMI, who will assist you in your day-to-day efforts and provide you with a more in-depth perspective of BPMI and your assignments. This sponsor, along with your manager, will provide guidance and training on the specifics of BPMI’s business and operation.
Training - Co-ops are provided with various training opportunities in several procurement areas including budgeting, negotiating, and contract management.
Shipyard Tour - BPMI’s co-op coordinators take our co-ops to Newport News Shipbuilding in Virginia for a one-day shipyard tour. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to see aircraft carriers, submarines, servicing facilities, and other areas of interest. The tour allows our co-ops to gain a better appreciation of what the work at BPMI supports and how extensive the Navy program really is.
- Team with engineering personnel to perform program management and contract administration for naval nuclear power plant components and servicing equipment.
- Manage supplier relationships, including resolution of non-technical contract issues.
- Act as focal point for company and supplier communications (oral and written).
- Develop budgetary estimates, long range forecasts, and independent cost estimates.
- Develop and recommend acquisition strategies including source selection, performance milestones, determining contract type, and establishing negotiation objectives.
- Issue requests for proposal, analyze supplier proposals, negotiate pricing, and prepare formal business case justifications recommending contract placement.
- Monitor supplier compliance with delivery schedules, payment provisions, applicable laws, and contract data reporting requirements.
- Create, control, and maintain contract files.
- Enter and maintain contract and supplier data within enterprise business systems.
- Participate in or lead special projects such as assessment of the supplier base, program cost reduction initiatives, and company-wide audits.
- Currently pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Business from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum GPA of 3.0 is preferred.
- Must be a U.S. citizen due to government security clearance requirements. In order to work at BPMI, applicants must complete a Federal background investigation and be granted a security clearance.
- Understanding and working knowledge of purchasing, project management, and other general business skills.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications desired.
- Strong oral and writing skills required.
BPMI is a prime contractor for the United States Naval Nuclear Propulsion Program (NNPP). We are a project engineering organization responsible for providing design, manufacturing, and procurement management for the fabrication, testing, delivery, installation, and field support of high quality nuclear power plant components for installation in submarines and aircraft carriers.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package including:
- Defined Contribution Retirement Plans
- 401(k) Plan with company match
- Capital Accumulation Plan (CAP) with company contribution
- 9/80 work schedule option
- Continuing Education and Training
Equal Opportunity Employer: minority/female/disabled/veteran