Reserve Technician – Facility, Equipment, and Property Maintenance
Job Purpose: The purpose of this highly laborious position is to provide support in the operation, maintenance, and restoration of Reserve infrastructure including guest and visitor facilities, houses, structures, grasslands, bison herd and wildlife. Actual job duties may include parts or all of the duties listed below dependent on the needs of the business and the qualifications of the candidate.
Job Perks: An extraordinary opportunity to learn about an ambitious, unique and complex conservation project from the inside out. Ability to participate in various scientific and restoration efforts in the field and community events in the project area.
Primary Job Duties:
- Assist with maintenance and upkeep of Reserve facilities including houses, outbuildings and property.
- Assist with the construction and maintenance of structures.
- Perform tasks such as painting, staining and refinishing, mowing, watering, digging and snow removal.
- Assist with the control of invasive and noxious weeds including application of chemical spray.
- Assist with basic mechanical repair on vehicles, UTVs, ATVs and other equipment.
- Engage in maintenance and construction of wildlife friendly and electric fence.
- Assist with maintenance and construction of bison facilities.
- Assist with prairie dog restoration projects.
- Assist with additional wildlife restoration activities.
- Assist with housekeeping and hospitality services.
- Assist with evaluating needed repairs to Reserve assets and provide timely report of breakage, damage, or safety concerns.
- Complete job duties to the specification set forth by employer and in a manner that meets health, sanitation and safety standards and policies including appropriate use of protective equipment.
Specific Skills, Educational Requirements, Credentials, Experience, Knowledge and Attributes that are needed for high performance:
- Ability to willingness to positively represent APR’s mission, goals, values and culture.
- 1-year combined maintenance/labor experience required; 2-3 years preferred; type of labor experience preferred includes maintenance, farm and ranch, property, mechanical, or similar labor experience.
- Dependable follow through of work assigned and agreed upon.
- Ability to adhere to instructions and ask necessary questions to ensure tasks and responsibilities are completed accurately.
- Demonstrate a proactive and motivated work ethic with ability to work quickly and efficiently to complete tasks and responsibilities.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively with others.
- Use cleaning products and tools such as disinfectants, degreasers, solvents, broom, vacuum, etc.
- Ability to use maintenance tools and equipment such as hand tools and power tools.
- Ability to physically exert self, including lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds or more with assistance.
- Ability to stand, squat, kneel, bend, stoop, reach, and work from a ladder; ability to climb and descend stairs and ladders.
- Dependent on APR needs, ability to drive trucks, tractors, backhoe, snowmobiles, and off highway vehicles.
- Ability to safely work and operate off road vehicles in uneven terrain and adverse weather conditions.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation to work areas and the ability to drive on poorly maintained roads and in various weather conditions to get to work areas.
EXTENUATING WORKING CONDITIONS: This is a highly laborious position that requires physical exertion. Work areas are remote and rugged, in some instance rustic and uninhabited. Duties will be completed indoors, outdoors and under adverse weather conditions. Requires exposure to cleaning chemicals and contaminants. May require exposure to and use of hazardous equipment and tools.
APR reserves the right to verify previous employment and other information provided by a candidate. If a candidate provides false information, an offer for employment may be rescinded.
For a full job description, qualifications, & to apply, visit: americanprairie.org/employment