Hardware - Energy Design Engineering Internship (Fall 2020)
Internship Program at Tesla
The University Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
Palo Alto, CA
About the Team
The Tesla Vehicle Engineering team is responsible for designing, testing, and prototyping mechanical components and systems for current and future Tesla vehicle and product programs.
Body in White Engineering
CAE, Simulation, and Testing
Hardware Development Test and Analysis
Product Design Integration
Thermo and Aero Engineering
Vehicle Test Engineering
What to Expect
Internships within Vehicle Engineering will be mechanical, however interdisciplinary in nature and will challenge you to come up with creative solutions to affect rigorous quality and cost-down targets. Additionally, you will work collaboratively with cross-functional partners and external vendors and suppliers.
This could include (but is not limited to) the following:
- Mechanical wrenching, basic fabrication, machining, wiring (general electronics, debugging, and parts chasing)
- Automotive component /system testing including environmental and safety testing.
- Design, fabricate and program test equipment for the validation of mechanical and electromechanical parts.
- Model components and assemblies in CAD (Solidworks, CATIA V5).
- Solve electronics packaging issues
- Further develop understanding of thermodynamics and heat transfer, high voltage and low voltage DC circuits.
- Utilize understanding of thermal and mechanical modeling to test various components.
- Optimize concepts and designs.
- Complete component and system validation, ensuring performance targets are met.
- Resolve issues and concerns with cross functional teams including engineering, supply chain, manufacturing, and/or service.
Specific project assignments and required technical aptitude will vary:
- Currently working towards a BS, MS, or advanced degree in a relevant engineering program.
- Experience with full product cycles from prototype to production.
- Proficiency in 3D CAD modeling software (CATIA, Pro-Engineer, Unigraphics).
- Knowledge of Finite Element Analysis, Applied Solid Mechanics, Material science and Numerical Methods.
- Knowledge of relevant manufacturing processes and a variety of engineering materials.
- Working knowledge of Matlab, Labview, and Python; GD&T required, proficiency preferred.
- Hands-on experience, previous internship and/or project experience is preferred.
- Experience with automotive environmental, reliability, and safety requirements is a plus.
- Knowledge of lithium-ion battery technology and electrochemistry a plus