Hardware - Power Systems Internship (Fall 2020)
Internship Program at Tesla
The University Recruiting Team is driven by the passion to recognize emerging talent. Our year around program places the best students in positions that they will grow both technically and personally through their experience working closely with their Manager, Mentor, and team. We are dedicated to providing an experience that allows for the intern to experience life at Tesla by given them projects that are critical to their team’s success. Instead of going on coffee runs and making copies, you’ll be seated at the table making critical decisions that will influence not only your team, but the overall achievement of Tesla’s mission.
About the team
Tesla Energy Grid Solutions team is looking for a highly motivated individual who is excited about solving real-life power system issues around renewables integration. As an intern in this position, you will have an opportunity to build RMS/EMT power systems model for Battery Energy Storage System (BESS) and perform system studies.
What to expect
This position is focused on power systems stability modeling and analysis. The intern is expected to demonstrate a solid theoretical background on EMT and dynamic modeling of power systems, renewable energy resources, and converter-interfaced devices. The intern should have very strong and hands-on experience using any positive sequence tools like (PSSE/DIgSILENT/PSLF) and EMT tools (preferably PSCAD) for dynamics/transient simulations. The intern will focus mostly on modeling solar PV and battery energy storage systems in any of these software utilizing Python interfaces, running simulations, and analyzing the impact of these resources on stability of grids and microgrids.
- Currently working towards a Masters or PhD degree in a relevant program such as Electrical Engineering or Mechatronics with a focus on Power and Energy Systems
- Practical experience with modeling renewable in any positive sequence or EMT tool
- Practical experience using Python
- Must be self-managed and committed to working in a fast-paced environment
- Relocate to Palo Alto, CA
- Prior practical experience in conducting utility transmission interconnection studies for renewable and energy storage projects is a plus
- Prior experience with PSSE User Written Model is a plus