2020-2021 Challenge Detroit Fellow
Challenge Detroit is a yearlong, paid, multidisciplinary, nonprofit Fellowship program that cultivates diverse, innovative, emerging and existing, community-minded leaders from the City of Detroit and across the country, fostering their talents to intellectually support local nonprofits already making an impact within Detroit. Each year, we recruit around 30 individuals to positively contribute to our diverse, culturally vibrant city along with existing leaders.
HOW IT WORKS:
- Monday-Thursday: Fellows gain valuable career skills through employment at a top area company—large corporations like DTE and General Motors to small businesses like Strategic Community Partners, nonprofits and everything in between.
- Every Friday: Fellows work together with local nonprofits on innovative challenges designed to positively contribute to our community.
WE ARE LOOKING FOR CANDIDATES WHO:
- are from the City of Detroit, from surrounding areas, the state of Michigan and beyond.
- represent a diverse range of race, ethnicity, gender identity, orientation, thought, experience, perspective and ability.
- are passionate, dedicated, proactive, hard-working, innovative, adaptable and have a growth mindset.
- will have a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution by the time the program begins in September.
- speak and write in English fluently—all programs are conducted in English (candidates with proficiency in more than one language are welcome!).
- are authorized to work in the United States for the duration of the program (Sept 2020 to Aug 2021).
We are looking for graduating seniors and alumni with majors/degrees in:
- Architecture/Landscape Architecture/Interior Design
- Construction Management
- Community Development/Urban Planning/Urban Studies
- Engineering (architectural, civil, mechanical, automotive)
- Graphic Design/Design/Creative
- Health/Health Administration/Public Health
- Human Resources/Organizational Behavior
- Public Administration/Nonprofits
- Social Work/Family & Child Development
- Video Production and more!
AS A FELLOW YOU WILL:
- gain valuable leadership, project management and team-building skills through a multi-faceted leadership development program;
- learn and leverage the art of design thinking;
- collaborate with multiple Detroit-based nonprofits to support them in moving their missions forward through various strategic, community-focused projects;
- connect with and form meaningful relationships with the broader Challenge Detroit community as well as your cohort;
- gain access to cultural and professional events;
- receive a $38,000 annual salary plus benefits typical of your host company; and
- become a part of the network of nearly 250 alumni Fellows!
What Fellows do after their program year:
- some Fellows stay at their host companies;
- for some, this experience is a gap year and move on to graduate school;
- while others find employment elsewhere.
Diversity and inclusion are a cornerstone of Challenge Detroit. We strive to create and support a culture where people can be themselves and feel included while including others. We value a diverse representation of individuals from near and far, across races and ethnicities, gender experience and orientation, skills, experience and abilities. Diversity of thought and perspective are essential to our work.