Pre-Doctoral Research - Accounting Division
Predoctoral Research - Staff Associate - Accounting Division
Columbia Business School is seeking to hire one Staff Associates of research for the accounting division. The work will include quantitative and qualitative research and analysis involving the collection, coordination and management of information and data. This position provides an opportunity to gain experience in academic economics research and would be ideal preparation for a PhD program in accounting, finance, economics, or other related fields. This is a two-year position with a possible extension to a third-year.
The Research Staff Associate duties involve work in one or more of the following areas of research: economics, and statistics. Specific duties include:
· Collect, clean, and maintain datasets and databases. Extract and link data from multiple databases for analysis. Prepare detailed documentation.
· Develop models and implement program code (STATA, Python, SQL, R, SAS, Matlab, etc.).
· Perform statistical analysis, including regression analysis and machine learning techniques.
· Assist with data analysis and dissemination of findings through the preparation of reports, journal articles, presentations, web sites, and other research outlets.
· Perform case-based research, including work with detailed primary documents.
Applicants for Staff Associate position are expected to have the following:
· Programming experience in STATA and/or SAS is required.
· Additional programming experience in one or more of the following languages: R, Python, SQL, Matlab, and/or C++ is preferred.
· Familiarity with statistical tools such as linear regression is required.
· Familiarity with text parsing and analysis (natural language processing) and/or machine learning techniques is preferred.
· Candidate must be organized and able to work on multiple projects simultaneously.
· At least 6 months of research experience in a research role as a research assistant during the academic year or a summer internship in a research lab or governmental institution such as the NY Fed.
· Bachelor’s degree in Economics or Finance or Accounting or in a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering with coursework in Accounting, Economics and Finance.
For a complete list of all faculty and their research interest: https://www8.gsb.columbia.edu/faculty-research/divisions/accounting/faculty-research).
Columbia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Women and minorities are especially encouraged to apply.
The application must include your CV, transcripts, writing sample, and three reference letters.
Please visit our online application site at the Columbia University RAPS site (or copy and paste the URL below) for further information about this position and to submit your application: