Job ID: 435303
Business Title: Policy Analyst (CITY RESEARCH SCIENTIST, L2)
Division/Work Unit: Business Income Tax Research
Proposed Salary Range: $75,504 - $86,830 (Annual)
The Tax Policy Division reviews, analyzes, and evaluates existing and proposed policies and legislation that affect the Department of Finance and New York City in general. This includes analyzing the revenue and distributional impacts of proposed changes to the tax system, monitoring and reporting on tax and parking revenues, working with local and state public agencies and private sector interests to promote improved tax administration, and advising the commissioner, Executive Office, and the New York City Office of Management and Budget on revenue and budgetary issues. The Tax Policy Division is also responsible for all modeling and data mining for DOF’s Audit Division. Tax Policy also prepares briefing and position papers on tax policy and issues a variety of public reports and newsletters on tax-related issues.
Tax Policy, Business Income Tax Research (BITR) unit seeks a Data Analyst to perform high-level data analysis and modeling.
Reporting to the Director, responsibilities will include, but are not limited to the following:
- Modify and maintain existing micro-simulation models and computer programs that generate business tax samples.
- Use business tax samples and models to evaluate tax policies.
- Evaluate Tax Policy's data sources, streams and reports. Identify inconsistencies and anomalies and maintain data integrity.
- Review tax returns and tax collections in Department of Finance's Business Tax System to improve data quality in the system.
- Assist with creating periodic business income tax baselines and reports.
- Assist director of business income tax research to perform ad hoc research projects, prepare presentations and present results.
Minimum Qual Requirements:
- For Assignment Level I (only physical, biological and environmental sciences and public health): A master's degree from an accredited college or university with a specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological or environmental science or in public health.
To be appointed to Assignment Level II and above, candidates must have:
- A doctorate degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and one (1) year of full-time experience in a responsible supervisory, administrative or research capacity in the appropriate field of specialization; OR
- A master's degree from an accredited college or university with specialization in an appropriate field of physical, biological, environmental or social science and three (3) years of responsible full-time research experience in the appropriate field of specialization; OR
- Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least a master's degree in an appropriate field of specialization and at least two (2) years of experience described in "2" above. Two (2) years as a City Research Scientist Level I can be substituted for the experience required in "1" and "2" above.
Appointments to this position are subject to a minimum probationary period of one (1) year.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and City business tax laws.
- Knowledge of stratified sample creation.
- Working experience in SAS, SQL and Excel VBA.
- Excellent communication and writing skills.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
This position will require employees to have access to Federal Tax Information (FTI) and is subject to an additional background investigation before appointment. The candidate(s) will be required to pass the FTI background investigation as a term and condition of employment. At the time of investigation, candidate(s) will be required to pay a fingerprint screening fee.
Click the "Apply" button. You will need to create a username/password in order to submit your credentials (resume & cover letter). Please note that only those individuals who apply on our NYC Automated Personnel System will be considered for an interview and proceed with the application process; resumes will be reviewed on ongoing basis.
If you are experiencing trouble accessing the link through the "Apply" button, please copy/paste link: www.nyc.gov/jobs > Explore Careers > Search by Agency > Department of Finance (DOF) > JOB ID: 435303, under "FINANCE".
Unless otherwise indicated, all positions require a five-day workweek.
59 Maiden Lane, New York-NY
(Current location but could be subject to change)
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
Position Posted Until: 4/3/2020