Summer Analyst (SF)
Interested in language/writing/story telling? Interested in how beliefs are shaped and perpetuated? How fake news “sticks” to some people? Or perhaps you're just curious about all this hype around Machine Learning and Natural Language Processing? Or maybe it's all of the above?? Look no further: now you can do all that AND get paid for it!
Protagonist is the Narrative Analytics company. From the vast amount of data available in the digital universe, we mine the perceptions, opinions, and stories that constitute the Narratives people hold in their minds. Our offering empowers organizations to understand the discourse that matters, what’s driving that discourse, and how to take action to work within the Narrative Landscape. Protagonist uses natural language processing, machine learning, and human expertise to identify, measure, and shape Narratives. Today, Narrative Analytics is used by dozens of the world’s leading corporations, business leaders, and foundations.
The Protagonist Intern has a passion for understanding the deeply held beliefs -- the narratives -- that drive critical issues and unleashing the power of big data to drive strategic decisions. Our interns support the continued development of our Narrative Analytics offering, finding and isolating the online media conversations that matter and curating powerful datasets that will drive success for our customers. You are deeply data-savvy, have outstanding analytical skills, and are creative and enthusiastic about using technology, data, and the power of narratives to solve complex problems. You have a strong backing in data analysis. Attention to detail and comfort with ambiguity are key attributes.
Over the course of the internship, the intern will take an active role in casework from scoping datasets to conducting analysis. The intern will be expected to collaborate across teams on both client deliverables and internal process priorities. Specific responsibilities include:
- Work with a range of content vendors and deploy a variety of scrapers, scripts, and other tools to develop narrative-rich data sets to address customer needs
- Support our analytics approach to data and collaborate closely with Customer Solutions teammates to deliver Narrative Analytics to our customers
- Implement research plans for assigned projects, based on discussions with members of the Customer Solutions team
- Collaborate with the case teams to identify and visualize insights that answer key client questions
- Authorized to work in the US
- Experience with R, STATA, Python or another statistical programming language, experience with SQL is preferred
- Experience with Excel in particular advanced formula creation, data cleaning, pivot tables, and other necessary functions
- Familiar with a range of data science concepts (such as natural language processing, content similarity analysis, social network analysis, and sentiment analysis)
- Strong data skills, with an understanding of how to apply data to communications, marketing, and business strategy problems
- Course work in a quantitative field or with heavy quantitative bent, such as business, marketing, or economics, and/or a focus in communications and related fields a plus
- Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills; able to communicate complex data problems with clarity
- Able to work independently as well as part of a cross-functional team
- Ability to meet tight deadlines, under pressure, with outstanding attention to detail
- Love working in a fast-paced, startup environment full of complexity, ambiguity and change
- Availability between 20-40 hrs/week