Loan Specialist (Pathways Recent Graduate Program), Rural Development
The Pathways Program offers students and recent graduates opportunities in the federal government. The Recent Graduate Program targets individuals who graduated from accredited institutions within the last 2 years, and veterans up to 6 years. The Recent Graduate Program lasts 1 year, where upon conclusion you may be converted to a career position in the federal service.
This position is located in a State or Area office in USDA/Rural Development (RD). The incumbent has responsibility for making and servicing loans/grants for small residential dwellings, and/or selected multi-family housing (MFH) projects, and/or selected loans and grants for rural facilities, utilities, and/or businesses.
- Performs loan processing and servicing assignments of limited scope and complexity for MFH; and/or selected loans and grants for community facilities, utilities; and/or businesses to contribute to the development of the employee.
- Segments of higher graded duties and projects may be assigned to provide experience and competency for future more complex loan examining and servicing work.
- Under the guidance of a higher graded specialist meets with other lenders and potential borrowers to explain RD programs and requirements.
To be eligible, applicants must meet one of the following requirements;
- Completed all requirements for an associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational, or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution within the previous two (2) years; or
- Individuals who, due to military service obligation, were precluded from applying to the Recent Graduates Program during any portion of the 2-year eligibility period described above shall have a full 2-year period of eligibility upon release or discharge from active duty. This eligibility period cannot extend more than 6 years from the date on which the requirements for the academic course of study were met.
In addition to meeting the eligibility requirements above, applicants must possess the experience requirements as follows:
- For the GS-5 level: Applicants must have three (3) years of progressively responsible general experience, one year of which was equivalent to at least the GS-4, that required (1) gathering and analyzing facts and figures, and presenting the information or conclusions in clear oral and written language; or (2) that provided a knowledge of the principles of financial analysis or of insurance laws, such as contract property, life, casualty, or marine insurance OR A 4-year course of study leading to a bachelor's degree. Equivalent combination of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
- For the GS-7 level: Applicants must possess one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the GS-5 level; or its non-Federal equivalent that demonstrates: basic knowledge of loan examining and/or servicing principles, procedures and techniques as they apply to investigation, analysis, and evaluation of financial factors and credit risks in relation to granting and servicing of agricultural loans. Experience may have been gained in such work as assisting in reviewing and passing upon applications for agricultural loans; servicing an agricultural loan portfolio of a bank or other loan association; or similar work. In addition, this experience must demonstrate basic knowledge of farm operations, land use and value, production of various crops and livestock, and prices and markets in the farming area where loans are made and serviced; or similar work OR Completion of one full year of graduate level education; OR Superior Academic Achievement. Equivalent combination of education and experience are qualifying for this grade level.
- Superior Academic Achievement is based on (1) class standing, (2) grade-point average, or (3) honor society membership.1. Class standing - Applicants must be in the upper third of the graduating class in the college, university, or major subdivision, based on completed courses.2. Grade-point average - Applicants must have a grade-point average of: 3.0 or higher out of a possible 4.0 as recorded on their official transcript, or as computed bases on 4 years of education, or as computed based on courses completed during the final two years of the curriculum; OR 3.5 or higher out of a possible 4.0 based on the average of the required courses completed in the major field or the required courses in the major field completed during the final 2 years of the curriculum.3. Election to membership in a national scholastic honor society.
- NOTE: To be considered for this position, you must meet all qualification and eligibility requirements for the GS-1165 series set forth in the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Qualification Standards by the closing date of the announcement. A copy is available at: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards
- Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
- This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Recent Graduate appointments are intended to last for 1 year. Recent Graduates who satisfactorily complete all the USDA Recent Graduates Program requirements may be non-competitively converted to a Term or Permanent appointment in the competitive service. Conversion is not guaranteed. Recent Graduates converted to Term appointments may later be non-competitively converted to a Permanent competitive service position.
- Upon successful completion of the Recent Graduate Program requirements in accordance with 5 CFR 362.205 (qualifications, one year continuous work experience, satisfactory performance, mandatory training completion, etc.) you may be non-competitively converted to a term, career conditional or career appointment within 120 days to a:
- Loan Specialist, GS-1165-05/07/09 career ladder position. The full performance level (FPL) of the position to which converted may be up to the GS-09 level.
- NOTE: An agency is not required to convert any individual in a Pathways position, to a position in the competitive service, whether upon completion of degree requirements or otherwise. Conversion to a competitive service position is not an entitlement.
- NOTE: Students who will be graduating in the Spring/Summer 2020 are eligible to apply for Recent Graduate positions. However, candidates cannot be appointed to a Recent Graduate position until proof of graduation on an official transcript is provided.
- Recent Graduates with a degree in one of the following fields is preferred: Finance, business administration, economics, accounting, insurance, engineering, mathematics, banking and credit, law, real estate operations, statistics, or other fields related to the position, such as agriculture, agricultural economics, farm, livestock or ranch management, or rural sociology.