Recreation Membership & Customer Service Manager
The YK Fitness Center in Bethel, AK has an exciting new opportunity for a full-time, benefits eligible, Membership & Customer Service Manager to facilitate member management and reporting, to promote fitness activities as a part of a healthy lifestyle, to motivate and energize the Bethel community, and to supervise and develop YK Fitness Center staff.
Bethel, AK is a community of roughly 6,500 people located at the mouth of the Kuskokwim River, 40 miles inland from the Bering Sea and 400 air miles West of Anchorage. First established by Yup'ik Eskimos, Bethel is now the largest community in Western Alaska and the 9th largest in the State of Alaska. Accessible only by air and by river, Bethel functions as the transportation and service hub for the 56 villages that make up the Yukon Kuskokwim Delta Region (YK Delta). The YK Fitness Center, Managed by HealthFitness, is the only public recreational facility in Bethel and is an essential part of the health, safety and well-being of the Bethel community.
This position offers competitive pay, full benefits, and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of rural Alaskans. A successful candidate for this position will have a dedication to wellness and a drive to be a positive influencer for health and wellness for fitness center members, staff and the community. They will have a background in membership management, experience providing excellent customer service, and be skilled in motivating and engaging staff and community members. It is important for this individual to be available during peak facility usage therefore the regular schedule for this position includes evening and weekend hours. Additionally, all Managers are required to be Lifeguard Certified within 90 days of hire.
Applicants must meet hiring requirements including but not limited to pre-employment drug test.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Management of membership operations and customer service, including member engagement and marketing.
- Operations staff scheduling, supervision and backup coverage (Lifeguard certification required).
- Develop, market and oversee programs and special events.
- Other duties as needed/assigned.
Education, Experience & Certification Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Recreation, Business Management, or a related field OR Associates degree in related field plus at least 3 years of experience.
- 1-3 years of management experience working in membership services, direct customer service or related field. Experience in a recreational setting preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience developing and implementing activities and events directed towards community engagement, member recruitment and retention.
- Experience in development and implementation of marketing campaigns, including strategic use of social media.
- Lifeguard certification will be required within 90 days of hire (pre-requisite swim skills may be tested during on-site interview).
- Food Workers certification will be required within 30 days of hire.
- Must have a positive attitude and a desire and ability to positively engage diverse range of patrons and staff.
- Strong organization and the ability to prioritize and multi-task while maintaining a positive, professional demeanor and attitude.
- Excellent verbal and written skills; and high quality customer service skills.
- Strong computer literacy, and comfort using a variety of software including Microsoft Office, Point of Sale (CivicRec), Staff Scheduling (SubItUp) and Building Automation Software.
- Ability to work both individually and as a team.
- Ability to supervise, train and positively motivate/lead diverse staff.
- Master’s Degree in related field.
- Demonstrated experience with front line customer service in facilities with diverse patronage.
- Demonstrated ability to engage population in health and wellness activities.
- Additional fitness/aquatics certifications (any of the below).
- Personal Training
- Fitness Instruction
- Water Safety Instructor
- Lifeguard Instructor
- Certified Pool Operator
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability.