Research Associate II - Lung Cancer and Health Disparities
The Departments Surgery at the City of Hope National Medical Center invites applications for a Research Associate II (RAII) with interest in lung cancer, public health, health disparities, health promotion, and patient literacy & education. The RAII will join a research team that investigates the role of health disparities outcomes in lung cancer with a focus in improving lung cancer screening rates and smoking cessation adherence at Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHCs).
Under general supervision of the Principal Investigator, or designee, the RAII directs the work of research projects in collaboration with the academic supervisor. The RAII will make innovative contributions pertaining to human subject research procedures including protocol and study material development, study recruitment, data management, and manuscript development. The RAII will work closely with staff and patients at partnering FQHCs to implement our research program and trouble shoot issues that arise. They will work directly with vulnerable underserved populations, creating and refining patient communication materials and interacting with patients face to face. The RAII typically consults with the academic supervisor on the scope and plan of approach to a research project; reads abstracts and articles; organizes and plans techniques; plans and assigns the work of at least one lab staff advising on problems they are unable to solve; contributes original ideas to the research; standardize news procedures and trains staff on these procedures; performs specialized procedures and prepare written reports of project status and findings.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Performs literature reviews to ensure projects are based on most recent data in the field of lung cancer.
- Recruit and liaise with participants, including approaching patients in FHQC and distributing participants research materials. Establish and maintain interpersonal relationships with patients, and clinic staff, while assuring confidentiality of patient information.
- Assist with protocol management for an assigned set of multiple research protocols
- Maintains current and accurate protocol documentation; notifies Principal Investigator of pertinent protocol changes.
- Responsible for accurately tracking project data. Calculates, compiles and analyzes data obtained from work performed.
- Ensure patients are appropriately registered; maintains documentation of patient registration and ensures follow up treatment procedures.
- Independently evaluates research data and initiates alternative approaches to improve the quality of results by providing input to overall research design. Trains staff in specialized procedures and concepts behind processes.
- Contributes to the preparation of manuscripts by describing methods and specialized techniques. Keeps abreast of new and improved protocols.
- Ensures that all research activities are carried out in compliance with each procedure
- This position includes local travel to clinic sites at least 75% of the time
- Experience with patient navigation in accessing treatment
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Must have a Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of experience
- Must be computer literate with proficiency and working knowledge of database and reporting tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Experience in a hospital/healthcare setting
- Exceptional communicator in both written and oral form
- Interest in lung cancer disparities, especially as it relates lung cancer screening and smoking cessation
- An inquisitive mind to learn about and apply the latest research in lung cancer interventions.
- Experience with research program development and implementation.
- Experience working with people in underserved communities
- A desire to work directly with patients in a friendly, welcoming, and compassionate manner
Preferred education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- Master’s degree with 1 years of experience.
- Experience in a research setting
- Experience with electronic medical records (e.g., EPIC)
- Experience with FQHCs
- Experience in statistics and statistical computing (e.g., SAS, SPSS, Stata, R)
- Fluent in a second language (Mandarin, Spanish)
- Patient navigation related to lung cancer screening or lung cancer treatment
- Experience in a Public Health and or Social Work research setting