Marketing and Business Development Associate
About this Job
Seeking a “right-hand” person to the owner and President of our Bay Area (CA) company. This is an outstanding opportunity to work directly with the owner of this small consumer eCommerce and manufacturing company. You will learn about all aspects of the business, and get excellent general management, business development and marketing training and experience. Training and mentorship to be provided by the business owner, who is a Duke graduate and Harvard MBA. This role offers a rare opportunity for a young person to gain exposure to every element of this small, growing company, and to have a real impact on company progress and growth. Projects will include business development initiatives, marketing efforts and much more. Job can be remote or in our Richmond, CA location (near Berkeley, CA).
Sample projects might be:
- Analyze past purchase data to determine which types of customers are buying which products
- Help develop our social media strategy and presence to drive greater customer engagement and sales volume
- Pursue new lines of business through industry research, marketing and outreach. Pursue and respond to inquiries from potential customers to drive sales revenue
- Design, place and analyze customer surveys
- Conduct competitive product and price analysis and evaluate competitive positioning to influence company pricing and product strategy
- Manage email and other promotional marketing efforts
- Manage our Amazon.com channel and own responsibility for driving increased results
- Excellent written, verbal communication skills. Ability to interact with many different types of employees and customers successfully, from our warehouse workers to corporate customers.
- Strong selling/business development skills. Able to do internet/industry research to identify potential customers by industry, and to network or cold-call to those potential customers to solicit company relationships.
- Excellent analytical skills. Comfortable with data, financials and analysis. Excellent excel skills. Able to take incomplete or imperfect data and turn it into analysis that can help the company.
- Entrepreneurial mindset. Comfortable in less structured or uncertain environments. Able to adapt easily to change. Eager to explore growth opportunities and try new things. Comfortable finding their own way with limited direction or guidance.
- Proactive and opportunistic. Will independently seek to learn all aspects of the business, and will continually strive to identify new opportunities across multiple dimensions of company operations (marketing, finance, operations, new business development, etc.)
- Independent: After initial training period when work will be closely directly by company President, able to develop an increasingly independent work mindset and drive projects and work products independently.
- Graduating college senior with relevant internship/work experience, especially in small business or internet/ecommerce/manufacturing
- Small business experience a big plus
- Comfort with online research, extensive use of internet and social media a plus
- Strong analytical skills. Proficient in MS Excel and other analytical resources. Ability to work with an manipulate large data sets with use of tools such as pivot tables, lookup functions, etc.
- Preference for engineering majors, but open to all fields of study