Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we are iterating in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is headquartered in San Francisco, California, Earth.
About the Role:
Our Payload team enables the generation of accurate products from Planetscope satellites. There are multiple methods used to characterize image quality and ensure accuracy; from celestial maneuvers to examination of earth-facing on-orbit imagery. The work of the Payload team is performed at scale and affects millions of images and terabytes of data.
There is much work to be done and would be a great experience for an up-and-coming engineer who has experience with characterization of optical systems.
Impact You'll Own:
- Improving the monitoring of radiometric calibration using a reference moon irradiance model
- Using celestial images for imaging system characterization
- Characterization of imaging systems at the optical and radiometric level using on-orbit data
- Developing software for automation of image analysis that will work at scale and be reliable for a production pipeline
- Writing about the research performed so that it can be presented in scientific papers or conferences
- Optimizing data storage and processing in high-performance computing (HPC) and commercial cloud (AWS, GCP, etc.) environments
What You Bring:
- BS (current or recent student) in Computer Science, Civil Engineering, Science / Math
What Makes You Stand Out:
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we fulfill people’s careers and find folks that are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.