Program Evaluation Fellow - Variety - the Children's Charity
Location: Des Moines, IA (Remote Available)
Full-Time Dates: September 14 - December 4, 2020 Part-Time Dates: September 14, 2020 - January 29, 2021
Compensation: $575/week stipend (prorated for part-time fellowship)
Deadline: August 2, 2020
Due to the constantly evolving nature of work with COVID-19, the fellowship will be able to completed remotely or partially remotely depending on the recommendations throughout the time of the fellowship and the ability of the selected fellow to work in-person. Additionally, the fellowship can be completed either full-time (M-F) or part-time (3 days/week that fall within M-F). All interviews will be conducted virtually. Read a more detailed account of changes for this fall on this blog post.
Future Leaders In Action Overview:
FLIA cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits through a fellowship program. Fellows, individuals interested in entering the social sector, work on-site full-time at a partner nonprofit to develop or implement a pre-determined enrichment program.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including fundraising, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
Variety - the Children's Charity Overview:
Variety - the Children's Charity is dedicated to improving the lives of children who are at-risk, underprivileged, critically ill or living with special needs. Variety's initiatives focus on five programs: Grant Program, Mobility, Variety Vans, Variety Star Playgrounds, and the Compassion Fund.
Grant Program: Each year, nonprofit children’s organizations from across the state of Iowa have the opportunity to apply for grants to support program funding related to Variety’s mission of caring for children. Grant applicants are reviewed for financial stability and each organization is interviewed by a member of Variety’s Board followed by a three level interview/evaluation. This ensures a great understanding of the specific request and potential impact of a Variety investment into an applicant’s program.
Variety Vans: Variety provides nonprofit children’s organizations with Variety Vans (15-passenger, 12-passenger and minivans). The applicants go through the same process as the funding for grants. If granted, the van is titled in the recipient’s name and the recipient organization agrees to Variety’s terms and conditions for use of the van.
Mobility Program: Variety provides mobility equipment for children living with special needs. Equipment includes specialized bikes, gait trainers, standers, specialized strollers, etc. This equipment offers physical, therapeutic and recreational benefits for the children. Families, along with the child’s doctor/physical therapist, complete an application requesting the equipment.
Compassion Fund: Variety partners with Iowa hospitals to alleviate the financial hardships that are placed on a family due to a child’s hospitalization, outpatient treatment or long term illness.
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
You will …
- Work to help Variety develop processes for data compilation for the following programs: Grants, Vans, Mobility, and Compassion Fund
- Participate in the review, selection and approval process for each program to gain a full understanding of the structure and impact of each program
- Participate in virtual leadership workshops
- Actively participate in weekly FLIA professional development responsibilities including check-in calls
By the end of the fellowship, you will have …
- Written procedures for data compilation that includes the parameters, performance measures and how results are communicated with donors for each program area
- Raised $500 (with guidance and support from FLIA)
- Written two blog articles
- Completed final report and video
- Comfortable working with youth
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and in a team