Lean Engineer Internship
At Masonite, we make doors that do more. Our Purpose is We help people walk through walls, and by doing this we open new doors of opportunity for customers, partners and employees.
Six Cultural Pillars represent our organization’s culture and the behaviors employees demonstrate:
· Integrity Under Pressure
· People Are Key
· Hold the Door Open
· Flexibility in Every Fiber
· Results Hinge on Accountability
· On the Threshold of What’s Next
As a Lean Engineer Intern, you will work with Masonite’s CI team in the field to execute the company’s overall strategy that includes lean transformation, process improvement, training and standards. Intern assignments will be team-oriented and focus hands on real-world improvements. As a CI intern, you will become a member of a Transformation or Process Improvement Team. You will receive the training required to facilitate Kaizen Events and implement tools from Masonite’s lean toolbox on the manufacturing floor with coaching from an assigned mentor. In addition, you will be participating in a program that encompasses:
- Approximately ten-week summer assignment at a Masonite Operations Location
- Development of personal and professional skills through training, networking and mentoring relationships
- Interactions with senior leaders during intern activities such as lunch-and-learn events, 1:1 leadership dialogues and executive report outs
- The opportunity to build teamwork skills through interaction with other interns and colleagues
At Masonite we leverage the Mvantage Operating System to systemically focus on the elimination of waste. Mvantage focuses on the identification and elimination of non-value-added activities within the organization. Our ultimate goal is the seamless flow of material through our sites – from incoming raw materials to our customers. Mvantage provides us the platform to identify opportunities to continuously improve.
The Lean Engineer Intern provides support for our Mvantage operating system and will be a key member of our Continuous Improvement Team.
This is an opportunity for an individual to obtain hands on experience in process improvement activities, participation in and leading of cross functional teams, execution of continuous improvement projects, and driving benefits in customer satisfaction, quality, safety, and productivity using the Lean methodology and tools. Ideal candidates would have an interest in exploring multiple career paths and willingness to move from location to location as new career opportunities arise because this position will provide the Lean Engineer the opportunity to transition into an Operations, Quality, Supply Chain, or Engineering leadership position within our manufacturing footprint.
- Learn the Mvantage program through internal training provided by the Continuous Improvement and Plant Leadership teams.
- Training will be provided as well as certification as a Kaizen Facilitator
- Assist in Mvantage Transformation activities in plant facilities and training of operators in the plant.
- Drive process improvements that sustain project goals, and provide timely, accurate, and meaningful information on project status, and keep updated financial records of project.
- Support strategic project and be responsible for completing assigned tasks to achieve specific project goals.
- Working with Lean Leadership Team to create new process documentation, training materials, Standard operating procedure documents, and providing training to the plant operators.
- Identify and execute opportunities to improve process and material flow for Continuous Improvement activities.
- Oversee management planning and execution for project while influencing behavior without the direct authority
- Working on Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Quality, Manufacturing, Supply Chain, or Business
- Lean training and certification preferred but not required
- Experience in a manufacturing environment preferred but not required.
- Experience participating in a team environment
- Must be skilled in the use of the Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to influence others
- Self-motivated to drive change and exceed expectations
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel to Manufacturing Sites as needed