School Data Analyst
The School Data Analysts use their technical expertise to help schools set up and utilize their technology and establish solid data collection procedures to support state compliance. They assist schools to use their well-managed data to make strong tactical decisions around which students need support through data visualizations, reports and weekly meetings with key school staff. Lastly, Data Analysts, along with their EdOps team, help schools take a step back and consider the strategic implications of school policy for their operational and academic programs.
Reports to Regional Data Manager. Location flexible.
Who we are:
EdOps is Washington, DC-based B-Corp focused on minimizing the financial, operational, and compliance demands of running a school and supporting education leaders with data-driven insights to improve student outcomes. Simply put, we make it easier for school leaders to increase student achievement. Our growing team of professionals work with over 100 schools and school networks nationwide. We are serious about being the best possible partners to schools, and it shows in our 97% annual client retention rate and rapid growth rate. We work hard at being a rewarding, enjoyable workplace where staff can grow professionally and make an impact, and we were recognized as a Washington Post Top Workplace 2020. We are looking for education-focused, data loving, collaborative people to join our team.
What you will do:
- Support the data-to-day management of student data in student information systems and other platforms
- Help schools stay in compliance with local and federal guidelines surrounding student data through quality control, error reconciliation, and report submissions
- Extract and prepare data from various sources for analysis
- Manage attendance and other compliance dashboards
- In partnership with EdOps Data Specialists, summarize and analyze information for statistical reports for school leadership
What you will accomplish:
By Year 1 you will:
- Navigate an array of education databases
- Independently extract and populate a variety of critical school dashboards
- Understand the components of the year-long compliance state requirements
- Up your excel knowledge; you’ll be able to look up anything!
By Year 3 you will:
- Manage the core functions of a student information system
- Pull actionable insights from student-level reports to share with leadership
- Make recommendations across schools to improve internal processes
Who you are:
- Find joy in solving small tactical problems with data at a school level. You can’t wait to figure out each school’s set of systems and help them put the puzzle pieces together.
- Committed to increasing education equity and improving outcomes for students as much as you care about well-designed data sets, algorithms and clean analyses.
- Strong client communications and interpersonal skills. Comfortable with communicating complex ideas and nuance in professional English both verbally and in writing.
- Have a growth mindset and desire to learn new technology skills and data platforms. The education data landscape is ever-changing and we’re open to learning better and more efficient ways to manage, process, and utilize that data.
- Adaptable to using all kinds of different data platforms. We will teach you but you have to be ready.
- Independent in completing work and skilled in time management, managing against priorities, and advocating for resources you need to get you there.
- Committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion. Open to learning and growing in these areas together so that each of us can contribute to building a culture of equity and support our schools in advancing these values. Please see more on EdOps's commitment here.
What you need:
- Ability to navigate databases so that you can setup, manage and extract data for our clients (you don’t need to know education specific databases).
- Basic knowledge of excel such as formatting and basic formulas so that you can manipulate data for school partners.
- Basic data visualization skills (such as the ability to construct a bar or line chart) so that our school partners can more easily understand the information we are conveying.
- Time management per excellence and ability to prioritize. There is a lot going on here.
- Strong attention to detail because the details in our work are often specific students.
- Flexible attitude about how your workday will go. We are “Reliable” to our partners which means that we are very responsive and committed to client service. Our schools love that but that does mean that our days don’t always go as planned.
- Bonus: a knowledge of school data or how schools work.
- Typically, data analysts have 3-7 years of work or post high school educational experience.
What you get:
- Purpose driven work focusing on student achievement through operational excellence. That is what it is all about.
- Chance to work every day with colleagues who are committed to kids and supportive of each other’s efforts.
- Check out other perks of working at EdOps here. And some details on benefits here.
We know that a team from a wide range of backgrounds with different life experiences, identities, opinions, and talents makes us better able to innovate and deliver on our mission of supporting schools to improve student outcomes. Every day we work to build an inclusive company culture where everyone can be themselves at work and do their best work.
If you are passionate about our mission, ready to learn, and looking for a place where you can be yourself, we want to hear from you! To apply, please complete our application.