IAEA Programs Internship - Specification and Development of a Climate Policy Simulator
Position ID: NE202101-P0
Position and Grade: Internship – Specification and Development of a Climate Policy Simulator Organizational Unit:
3E Analysis Unit Planning and Economic Studies (PESS) Section
Division of Energy Planning and Nuclear Information and Knowledge
Department of Nuclear Energy
Duty Station: Vienna, Austria
Duration of Appointment/Start: 1 year, July/August 2021
The main purpose of internship is to specify, develop and test a climate policy simulator. The application would provide insights into dynamics of the climate system, economy-energy climate interactions and pathways to decarbonizing developing and developed economies. It would also provide insights into climate policies, strategies and their impacts, including on economic growth and development. The simulator would be used as an educational tool and a public relations support.
Tasks / Key Results Expected
- Review relevant literature on topics relevant to this work.
- Identify existing models and analyse their strength, weaknesses and usability.
- Specify the Climate Policy Simulator, its objective, functionalities, inputs and outputs.
- Develop and test, under the supervision of the IAEA Technical Officer, an initial version of the Climate Policy Simulator.
- Develop support material for the simulation: case study, country profile, and sample datasets.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Modelling (for example System Dynamics modelling).
- Ability to conduct independent research using different data sources.
- Demonstrated interest in work, being efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results.
- Familiarity with key principles, ideas and challenges related to economic development and climate policies and strategies is an asset.
- System Dynamics modelling experience is an asset.
Qualifications and Experience
University degree in Climate/Environment Sciences, Economics, Modelling, Programming, or a related field.
- Candidates must be a minimum of 20 years of age and have completed at least three years of full-time studies at a university or equivalent institution towards the completion of a first degree.
- Candidates may apply up to one year after the completion of a bachelor's, master's or doctorate degree.
- Candidates must not have previously participated in the IAEA's internship programme.
- Excellent written and spoken English essential; fluency in any other IAEA official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish) an asset.
- Candidates must attach two signed letters of recommendation to their application.
How To Apply
(please visit our website to submit your application)
- Internship Checklist
- Cover letter
- Two letters of recommendation (need to be written on official letterhead and signed by the recommender)
- Combine these five documents into one PDF file in the following order: checklist, resume, cover letter, then two letters of recommendation. Please include the position ID at the top of all pages.
- Please upload this one PDF to https://international.anl.gov/IAEA-Careers.html.
- Complete and submit a TALEO Profile