Research Experiences and Internships at the National Energy Technology Laboratory
Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE) and The National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) are seeking undergraduate and graduate students, along with recent bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral graduates, to participate in energy related research. To complement NETL’s mission, ORISE educational programs help ensure that NETL has a robust supply of scientists and engineers to meet its future science and technology needs. It takes a special workforce to tackle energy research and find solutions to America’s energy challenge. Gain the opportunity to research, network with world-class scientists, and use state of the art equipment to expand your knowledge in your field.
NETL’s Core Research and Development areas focus on critical energy related issues:
- Geological & Environmental Systems
- Materials Engineering & Manufacturing
- Energy Conversion Engineering
- Systems Engineering & Analysis
- Computational Science & Engineering
- Additional opportunities are available in: Information Technology, Research & Development Engineering, Facility Operations, and Environmental Safety & Health
About the programs:
- To engage in these five critical issues, ORISE offers three programs designed for all academic levels:
- Professional Internship Program (PIP)
- Postgraduate Research Program (PGRP)
- Faculty Research Participation Program (FRP)
- Stipend based on education level, optional health insurance, optional conference travel, optional relocation/moving assistance
- Full-time and Part-time opportunities
- Three primary locations include: Albany, OR; Morgantown, WV; and Pittsburgh, PA.
- Duration of appointment varies
- NETL supports the DOE mission to advance the energy security of the United States by implementing a broad spectrum of energy and environmental research and development (R&D) programs that will return benefits for generations to come.
- Its mission is to strengthen our nation’s security, to improve our nation’s environment, and to advance energy options that fuel our nation’s economy.
- NETL researchers discover, integrate, & mature technology solutions to enhance the nation’s energy foundation & protect the environment for future generations.
Program information: Detailed information about the internships can be found at https://orise.orau.gov/netl/.