Summer Research Station Intern
HM.CLAUSE is a Business Unit of Limagrain, an international agricultural co-operative founded and managed by farmers. HM.CLAUSE specializes in the breeding, production, and sale of vegetable seeds. From the world market to the farmer's market, we collaborate with our customers to deliver successful solutions for the agricultural challenges of today and produce the highest quality vegetable seeds for the future. Our global team of experts and state-of-the-art research facilities enable us to work side-by-side with growers to provide the most regionally relevant and reliable vegetable seeds available.
This Internship is designed to provide an individual with the opportunity to gain greater understanding of vegetable research and breeding operations. The intern will work with research and breeding programs to learn techniques and decision-making criteria as it relates to vegetable hybrid/cultivar development.
The Summer Internship will start approximately May 15th and end around August 31, 2021.
Essential Duties Include, but are not Limited to:
• Conduct and manage scouting of cucurbit isolation fields for weed, insect, and disease concerns.
• Serve as lead for one of the remote breeder trials: include plot layout, field prep requirements, and planning of all required activities.
o Solanum Sales
• Assist station management with irrigation management.
• Assist in planting of research trials.
• Evaluate crops for production concerns
• Assist in breeding programs with crop pollinations and evaluations
• Assist with the station phytosanitary requirements for internal seed quality assurance (SHIELD)
• Assist in yield harvest of sweet corn and snap bean
• Submit reports regarding station production issues.
• Identify weeds, insects, pests, and nutrient deficiencies.
• Experience working with and around pesticides
• Able to find and make chemical, pest management, and nutrient management recommendations
• Able to regularly lift 25 lbs. and occasionally lift up to 50 lbs
• Currently enrolled in a 4 year degree program
• Basic understanding of local crop production practices.
• Maintains a valid Driver's License.
• Ability to operate farm machinery desired but not required