Internal Communications Manager
ONE is a global movement campaigning to end extreme poverty and preventable disease by 2030, so that everyone, everywhere can lead a life of dignity and opportunity.
We believe the fight against poverty isn’t about charity, but about justice and equality.
Whether lobbying political leaders in world capitals or running cutting-edge grassroots campaigns, ONE pressures governments to do more to fight extreme poverty and preventable disease, particularly in Africa, and empowers citizens to hold their governments to account.
ONE’s supporters are crucial to this work. They come from every walk of life and from across the political spectrum. They’re artists and activists, faith and business leaders, students and scientists. They take action day in, day out — organizing, mobilizing, educating, and advocating so that people will have the chance not just to survive, but to thrive.
ONE teams in Abuja, Berlin, Brussels, Dakar, Johannesburg, London, New York, Ottawa, Paris and Washington DC, educate and lobby governments to shape policy solutions that save and improve millions of lives — and which every year are under threat from cuts and other priorities.
ONE is grounded in a mission, vision and set of values that provide a foundation for our work. At ONE, we look for talented individuals who are passionate about making change and who will strive to embody our values. Please take a moment to make yourself familiar with our values and mission statement before submitting your application.
Employees of ONE work in a collaborative and creative environment. When you work for ONE, you will receive excellent benefits along with the opportunity to be part of an international organization and contribute to our mission to end extreme poverty and preventable disease.
About the Opportunity
The Internal Communications Manager is responsible for developing and running a communications program to inform and engage ONE staff in locations across Europe, Africa and North America. The role is also responsible for partnering with colleagues to develop and coordinate communication engagement plans and products for ONE’s key external stakeholder groups.
The successful candidate will be creative, with strong organizational skills and will work best in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment. As well as key professional skills, they will have excellent communication and interpersonal relationship skills.
This is a new position, reporting to the Executive Director, Global Communications and is based in Washington DC offices.
In This Role, You Will
- Collaborate with ONE teams to refresh and update our approach to informing and engaging global staff.
- Lead the development of new planning tools, communications activities, and resources.
- Act as editorial lead for ONE’s Intranet, working with colleagues to plan, develop and publish content.
- Collaborate with ONE teams to develop tailored stakeholder communications plans and products for key groups.
- Project manage publications, events and communications products as needed.
- Write and/or edit copy for communications products and resources.
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with the following teams in particular: CEO, Communications and Content, Development, HR/Talent, and Operations.
- Keep abreast of new trends and innovations in internal communications, bringing fresh insights into the organization.
- Play an active role as a member of the Communications and Content team to help ONE achieve its mission through excellent staff engagement and communications.
- Support and advise senior ONE staff on internal communication matters as needed.
What You Bring to ONE
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant professional experience, including 3 years in management or lead capacity.
- A thorough understanding of the communications channel mix with experience of designing and implementing internal communications strategies and plans.
- Consistent record of delivering effective and creative communications programs which produce tangible results or change.
- A self-starter, able to initiate and drive new projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills, including copywriting, copy editing and proofreading.
- Excellent communications project management, planning and prioritization skills.
- Experience of using Intranet Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Demonstrable experience of working effectively in a team.
- Ability to manage multiple, shifting priorities and tight deadlines.
- A proactive approach to work and the confidence to put forward ideas.
- Experience of working with and advising senior staff and external contacts.
Fluency in English required. Proficiency in French and German a plus.
No travel expectations currently. Travel up to 5% international and/or domestic post COVID-19.
Remote work environment at the time of hire. In-office work options available and standard office work environment in the future when appropriate to accommodate.
Are you ready to join the fight against extreme poverty and preventable disease? Please submit a resume and cover letter to this opening at ONE jobs!
ONE is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to applicants. When an applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to compete for a job, they may request it orally or in writing (please visit the Contact Us page on the web; www.one.org/us/about/contact/). ONE will process requests for reasonable accommodation and will provide reasonable accommodations where appropriate, in a prompt and efficient manner.
ONE is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics.
Due to the number of inquiries that ONE receives, we thank all candidates for their interest yet only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.