Corporate Intern - Strategy/Internal Consulting
As a Corporate Intern at Ross you will have the opportunity to experience the world of off-price retail and be a part of a growing Fortune 500 company. This position is based in Dublin, California at our corporate headquarters. This internship prepares students for a potential career in retail, allowing you a real-world perspective on a career at Ross. Interns will gain insight into the objectives of their department and the daily responsibilities of an analyst at Ross.
The ideal Intern candidate for the Strategy Department will have an interest in management consulting and business strategy and will possess the following skills:
- Intellectual curiosity (candidate proactively pursues learning opportunities)
- A clear understanding of basic business, financial, statistical, and economic concepts
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Able to work effectively both individually and as a member of a team
The Strategy Intern will gain exposure to multiple areas of the business, interaction with Senior Leadership, project management experience and the opportunity to learn new software.
Strategy serves two main functions:
- “Internal consulting”: Strategy supports other departments on projects where they do not have either the capacity or the analytical capabilities to do the work themselves. Strategy’s role includes managing cross-functional teams, breaking down complex problems, and communicating with executives.
- Business strategy: Strategy is responsible for analyzing the external environment (competitors, consumer preferences, and the economy) in an effort to develop long-term strategic growth options and competitive responses to industry forces.
Examples of possible projects include:
- Business performance drivers – Analyze various performance metrics (often at the store level) including sales, transactions, and inventory
- Consumer research – Conduct and analyze quantitative and qualitative consumer research in order to better understand our customers’ attitudes and behavior (e.g. which product categories are most important to shoppers, how do customers view Ross vs. our competitors)
- Cross-functional initiatives – Collaborate with other departments to conduct analyses for key executive-level priorities (e.g. new store format improvement, roll-out strategy for new business opportunities)
INTERN PROGRAM OUTLINE:
The Ross Intern program is a 10-week full-time program (40 hours per week) for college level Juniors, starting in early June ending mid-August. The Intern Program will cover training on project related responsibilities, ownership of a department related project as well as exposure to senior leadership and other departments within Ross corporate.
The main component of the internship will be to analyze a business project within your department while participating in daily department activities. Interns will be expected to present a final project analysis and presentation.
- Problem Solving
- Learning on the Fly
- Time Management
- Excel / PPT Skills
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
List Education level, Years of Experience, Technical Knowledge, and/or Certifications required for the position.
- Must currently be enrolled in 4-year college degree program; must currently be in Junior standing with expected graduation between December 2021 and August 2022
- MS Office with strong practical application of Excel skills
- Ability to demonstrate use of PowerPoint skills
- Strong analytical skills with spreadsheet applications
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Able to work in a fast paced environment
- Organized and detail-oriented
- Retail experience a plus
- Please include any additional physical requirements below the standard requirements (including any travel, lifting, pushing, or pulling)
- Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
- Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working with paper/files, etc.
- Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
- Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
This position description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Ross is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of the Company’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce. Ross is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry, physical, mental or developmental disability, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), veteran status, military status, marital or registered domestic partnership status, medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by federal, state or local laws.