Ada Developers Academy is a non-profit, tuition-free coding school for women and gender diverse adults. We focus on serving low income people, underrepresented minorities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. Our program consists of two highly immersive parts: six months of focused instruction, and five months of internship at partner companies, where students refine their skills working on real-world code.
About this position
We are looking for a HR Generalist to work closely with the VP of People and Operations to build and manage the day-to-day operations of Ada’s HR function. As a member of our Operations team, you will bring your knowledge and experience in the following areas, including, but not limited to: recruitment and onboarding, HRIS management, benefits and leave administration, compliance, and staff engagement and development. As a lean team within a growing organization, the ideal candidate will be able to adapt to shifting priorities and “roll up your sleeves”. This is a full-time position (40 hours per week) with a base salary of $70,000 to $90,000 annually (DOE).
- Support the development and implementation of HR policies and procedures, including preparing and maintaining the employee handbook, and managing staff communication;
- Maintain policies and stay up to date in knowledge of trends, best practices, and regulatory changes in HR and employment law;
- Identify compliance requirements along with required training and/or documentation, and implement a process to ensure organizational compliance;
- Manage Rippling, build out integrations, troubleshoot issues, add templates, and continue to leverage new features;
- Ensure employee records are accurate, up to date, and compliant;
- Be the main point of contact for employee relations across the team and be able to manage with confidentiality and compassion.
People Operations (30%)
- Identify opportunities to strengthen employee morale through engagement surveys, appreciation, team-building activities;
- Initiate and lead staff learning and development, identifying opportunities for staff at all levels to continue their professional growth as well as potential training partners;
- Support strategic People Operations initiatives, examples include: compensation philosophy and benchmarking, career pathing and promotions, and performance management;
- Provide guidance as we transition from a fully-remote organization to a hybrid-model.
- Support hiring managers with their recruitment processes from beginning to end, including, but not limited to: reviewing job descriptions, posting jobs, interview scheduling and coordination, communication, and ATS management;
- Coordinate offer letters, background checks, and maintain communication with candidates;
- Partner with Director of Finance to ensure payroll compliance for out of state candidates;
- Manage new hire onboarding and continually seek feedback to refine processes;
- Build and manage the end to end offboarding process to give staff a positive sendoff.
- Own benefits administration from open enrollment to supporting day to day needs;
- Manage leave administration for STD, LTD, FFCRA, and other forms or paid leave;
- Ensure all staff are aware of benefits options and eligibility, and encourage staff use;
- Coordinates 403b information sessions and communication with staff.
Team Responsibilities (5%)
- Own and support broader organizational and team priorities, including:
- Complete special projects as needed or requested;
- Support colleagues on the Ada team as needed.
- 3+ years of experience in HR, or a related field;
- Knowledge of and experience in applying federal, state, and local laws as it relates to employment policies and practices with the ability and interest to stay up to date;
- Excitement and desire to work in a fast-paced environment during a period of growth, where there are many opportunities to create and build systems and processes;
- High degree of discretion, professional ethics, and judgment;
- Innate sense of ownership with demonstrated ability to work independently with limited direction;
- Strong communication skills with exceptional attention to detail and customer service;
- Experience working with Rippling, or comparable HRIS/ATS, Small Improvements preferred;
- Enthusiastic support of Ada’s mission and the ability to champion it at many different levels;
- Demonstrated embodiment of Ada’s values in a professional environment.
We hope to be drivers of change, and believe having a team of diverse backgrounds will enable us to strengthen our impact for others. Ada is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and is committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws. EOE, including disability/vets. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please don’t be shy and contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.