Security Engineering Intern
ABOUT NEW YORK CITY CYBER COMMAND
New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) is committed to protecting City systems that provide vital services to New Yorkers from cyber threats, and helping residents become safer in their digital lives.
As the organization defending the largest municipality in the country, NYC3 is charged with directing citywide incident response, setting citywide cybersecurity policies and standards and working with city agencies to strengthen their cyber defenses.
We are seeking a motivated Security Engineering Intern to support our mission during the summer 2020 term. Under the supervision of the Chief Security Architect or the Chief of Cyber Programs, the Security Engineering Intern will assist in the implementation of the organization’s security initiatives across the City. As a Security Engineering Intern you can be a generalist or specialize in one of three areas: network security, email security, or identity & access management. Candidates will be expected to:
- Assist with technical security assessments as part of an audit team
- Install, configure, and administer dedicated cybersecurity technologies
- Assist in security vendor assessments and proofs-of-concept
- Assist in developing and documenting processes and procedures for common security architecture activities
- Automate common and redundant security tasks
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
All candidates must be enrolled in a degree bearing program at an accredited institution.
- Pursuing a degree in Information Technology, Information Systems, Computer Science, or Computer Engineering with coursework in cybersecurity
- Pursuing a degree in Information Security or Cybersecurity
- Coursework in network administration, network engineering, or network security
- Coursework in at least three of the following areas: Cloud Computing, Secure Cloud Architecture, System Administration, Operating System Concepts, Enterprise Architecture, Access Controls & Identity Management, Cryptography, Threats & Vulnerabilities, Host Security, Compliance & Operational Security, Risk Management
- Basic knowledge of core cybersecurity technologies
- Experience programming/scripting in at least one language (C++, Python, Java, C#, Perl, etc)
- Certifications like CompTIA A+, Network+, or Security+ are a bonus
- Enthusiasm to learn through a combination of structured, on-the-job, and self-directed training
Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, this opportunity will be remote and unpaid.
Summer Internships are full time internships for students in degree bearing programs at an accredited institution. This classification of interns must show either proof of their university giving academic credit, or funding from their university or an authorized 3rd party.
The length of the internship cannot exceed 13 weeks and must take place between the start of June and the end of August. Students are required to work a minimum of 17 hours per week.
NYC3 will provide equipment for this internship period. The students will be required to have their own internet connectivity.