Cyber Threat Intelligence Analyst Intern
ABOUT NEW YORK CITY CYBER COMMAND
New York City Cyber Command (NYC3) is committed to protecting City systems that provide vital services to New Yorkers from cyber threats, and helping residents become safer in their digital lives.
As the organization defending the largest municipality in the country, NYC3 is charged with directing citywide incident response, setting citywide cybersecurity policies and standards and working with city agencies to strengthen their cyber defenses.
Cyber Threat Intelligence (CTI) Summer Interns within NYC Cyber Command perform many critical functions within the Threat Management discipline. CTI Summer Interns work directly with the CTI team, and work closely with the Computer Emergency Response Team (CERT), Security Operations Center (SOC), and Counter Threat Automation (CTA) team. Summer Interns will help by providing technical, tactical, and operational intelligence and assisting in providing strategic intelligence briefings to the executive team at NYC3. The technical, tactical and operational intelligence will assist in triaging, responding, remediating and recovering from high severity incidents involving over 160 agencies of the City of New York. CTI intern responsibilities will include :
- Develop actionable intelligence in the form of technical indicators, reports, lists, rules, signatures, or indicators and warnings.
- Collect and analyze open source data, information, and intelligence relevant to cyber security and the mission of NYC3 on a daily basis.
- Collaborate with the CERT and SOC to perform advanced rule creations and assistance for hunting identified - Indicators of Compromise from generated and analyzed intelligence.
- Conduct threat landscape research across relevant industries and verticals related to New York City with open source information.
- Conduct analysis and draft finished intelligence products on key issues of strategic interest to NYC3 using open source information
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
All candidates must be enrolled in a degree bearing program at an accredited institution.
- An active knowledge of current trends in cyber security, and software/hardware vulnerabilities.
- A general knowledge on security fundamentals and an inquiring mind.
- An active interest in current security research.
- Knowledge in network analysis, host analysis, and IDS/IPS technology.
Due to the current COVID-19 crisis, this opportunity will be remote and unpaid.
Summer Internships are full time internships for students in degree bearing programs at an accredited institution. This classification of interns must show either proof of their university giving academic credit, or funding from their university or an authorized 3rd party.
The length of the internship cannot exceed 13 weeks and must take place between the start of June and the end of August. Students are required to work a minimum of 17 hours per week.
NYC3 will provide a computer for this internship period, students will be required to have their own internet connectivity.