Business Development Specialist
We have made it a priority to meet with, and hire from, a diverse pool of candidates - as we believe that a range of lived experiences, voices, and perspectives directly contributes to the success of our team.
About the Opportunity
The Business Development Specialist plays a key role in facilitating the growth of the Certified B Corporation (B Corp) community across the United States & Canada. This role will support and work directly with complex & large companies that are leaders in social & environmental impact, ensuring that the companies have the resources and guidance to move through their B Corp certification journey. The Business Development Specialist works closely with other Business Development team members to provide a clear and seamless customer experience from a prospective B Corp’s first interaction with B Lab US & Canada, through to the conclusion of their B Corp certification process. This role also supports B Lab US & Canada with building and maintaining key internal infrastructure that's important for our collective success.
The Business Development Specialist will have the opportunity to work closely & directly with some of our largest and most influential prospective B Corps, building skills around business operations, legal structures, impact measurement to support their work with clients. This role will provide a unique inside view to the change management and resources needed at these large companies to create positive impact. B Lab US & Canada’s engagement with large & complex businesses is a key growth area for the organization, and as such this role will be presented with ripe opportunities for professional growth.
The Business Development Specialist reports to the Large Company Business Development Manager.
Scope of Work
Functional responsibilities and tasks for the Business Development Specialist include:
Business Development Technical Lead (50%)
- Engage directly with complex prospects to gather and review details about the company’s legal, operational and reporting structures in order to provide guidance on their B Corp Certification process & requirements
- Develop and deliver presentations, memos and other relevant resources that clearly articulate the company’s certification pathway, in collaboration with Business Development (BD) Team Members
- Collaborate with BD & Marketing Team Members to update and create marketing materials on technical areas of expertise
Project & Relationship Management (40%)
- In collaboration with BD Team Members, provide bespoke project management support to priority prospects (large companies >$100M and large enterprises), including timelines, best practices and other resources to support their journey
- Coordinate with internal team to ensure prospect’s needs are met and expectations on timelines and deliverables are appropriately set
- Administer approval and signature of contracts & non-disclosure agreements, in a timely manner
- Administer invoicing for pre-verification services provided by B Lab US & Canada
Customer Support (10%)
- Respond to inbound inquiries from complex prospects through B Lab’s shared ticketing system
We encourage you to apply if you can demonstrate the following skills/attributes:
- Detail-oriented & analytical
- Project Management skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to communicate professionally and empathetically with individuals at all levels of an organization, in both verbal and written communication
- Ability to communicate complex information clearly and succinctly, in both verbal and written communication
- Ability to identify opportunities and challenges, problem-solve to find creative solutions
- Approximately 2-3 years of relevant work experience or related education
For success in this role, the ideal candidate may consider themselves someone who:
- Enjoys building out a specialized skill set and being an expert in their domain
- Enjoys seeing processes & projects in that domain through to completion
- Enjoys collaborating with teammates on complex projects
- Has general “business acumen”, including basic competency with high level business concepts & process (i.e. corporate forms & legal entities, financial statements, core business functions/operations)
- Has a strong process orientation and desire to develop effective and efficient processes to improve B Lab’s work
While not required, please note in your application if you have experience with:
- Working with large, leading companies or Multinational Corporations
- B Corp Certification, or other third party social/environmental certifications
- Program Management or Program Development
- Google Suite, or a comparable cloud-based file storage
- Salesforce, or a comparable CRM
Hesitant to apply? Even if you do not believe that you meet 100% of these skills or experiences but feel that this is a great role for you, we would still like to hear from you!
B Lab offers a competitive compensation plan that includes:
- An annual salary in the range of $55,000-$58,000
- Excellent health benefits package including access to medical, vision and dental coverage
- Paid time off for vacation - in your first year, you’ll start with 3 weeks (prorated in a calendar year)
- 403(b) with a match of up to 3%
- Unlimited sick and personal time - if you need it, use it
- After your first year of employment - paid time off for community service, paid parental leave, and a professional development budget (we assess this PD budget annually)
We require the following in order to consider your application:
- Resume and responses to our accompanying application questions (cover letter is not needed).
If you progress through additional stages in the hiring process you can expect to:
- Complete a one-way video interview presented by our team via Spark Hire
- Complete a hiring exercise
- Have up to 2 live (video conference) interviews
We will begin reviewing applications on March 30 and will continue until we identify a diverse and qualified candidate pool.
Please note: All applications will be reviewed by our team, and all candidates will receive a status update via email after their application has been reviewed, which we expect to complete by April 12. Due to capacity constraints on our hiring team, we are unable to provide you with a specific status update beyond these parameters.
If we can offer reasonable accommodations to you in the application or interview processes, or if you have feedback on how we could improve the equity or accessibility of our recruitment, you are welcome to contact us at careers @ bcorporation.net with the subject line “Accommodation request - BD Specialist application”. Please note that we are unable to respond to general status inquiries or other messages that are unrelated to accessing our application or interview processes.
About B Lab
B Lab is transforming the global economy to benefit all people, communities, and the planet. A leader in economic systems change, our global network creates standards, policies, and tools for business, and we certify companies—known as B Corps—who are leading the way. To date, our community includes nearly 4,000 B Corps in over 70 countries and 150 industries, over 8,000 benefit corporations, and 100,000 companies managing their impact with the B Impact Assessment and the SDG Action Manager.
B Lab believes an equitable and inclusive work environment and a diverse, empowered team are key to achieving our mission. We’re not looking for candidates who are “culture fits.” We’re looking for candidates who can expand our perspective and challenge business as usual. We strive to foster an environment where all staff can bring their whole selves to work, by their own definition.
As an organization, we stand against anti-Black racism and all forms of oppression including transphobia, classism, sexism, and xenophobia. We commit to a focused and sustained action to dismantle racist systems, policies, practices, and ideologies within ourselves and our networks. As we continue to learn about injustice, we embrace radical reorientation of our consciousness and will listen to the voices of Black, Brown, Indigenous and marginalized peoples to catalyze equitable outcomes for all.
At B Lab an equitable, diverse and inclusive workplace is one where all workers, whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education or disability, feel valued and respected. We are committed to a nondiscriminatory approach and provide equal opportunity for employment and advancement in all of our teams, programs. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages and ensure that all voices are valued and heard.