Data Scientist – AI/ML Quant
Job Title: Data Scientist – AI/ML Quant
Job Type: Permanent
Reporting Relationship: VP Data & Data Science
Location: Houston, Texas
Argus is a fast-growing global B2B media company providing essential information on commodity markets. As a business, we continue to grow and evolve, adding new markets, new services, new delivery options and improved analytical tools.
The primary focus of this role will be to make a significant contribution in the research and development of Argus’ Automatic Machine Learning (ML) and Artificial Intelligence (AI) capabilities.
As an AI/ML Quant, you will be responsible for keeping up to date on the latest research in the field of automatic machine learning and artificial intelligence and help guide the development of the Argus algorithms & software. Much of the algorithms involves programming in R.
- Review existing and develop new methods for Argus Possibility Curves and associated signals for trading and risk management.
- Prototype algorithm techniques and run extensive benchmarks.
- Identify opportunities to improve our end-customer experience across our products and services using machine learning methods.
- Maintain current knowledge of the AI technology landscape, and be able to identify emerging methods or technologies and best practices
- Contribute to the enhancement of the Argus AI/ML library for possibility & forward curves that can be used globally.
- Contribute to the commercialisation of Argus possibility curves and data-science signals for trading and risk management.
- Monitor the processes for the production of Argus Possibility Curves, identify if any issues arise and fix them to ensure that the curves are available to the clients before the deadlines. It will be expected to work from 12:00 to 20:00 about 2-3 days a week.
Education and Experience
- PhD or MSc in mathematics, finance, statistics, engineering, computer science or related field.
- Experience in model validation
- Experience in model development
- Experience in production level coding
- Advanced R coding skills
- Experience in GitHub version control system for code development
- Experience in unit testing to ensure that all code meets quality standards before it's deployed
- Maker mindset & self-directed
- Passion for open source
About Argus Media
Argus Media is committed to ensuring career and personal growth for all its staff and provides extensive training and career development opportunities, as well as participation in employee-led initiatives, including a women’s network.
Argus is an independent media organisation with more than 1,000 staff. It is headquartered in London and has 25 offices in the world’s principal commodity trading and production centres. Argus produces price assessments and analysis of international energy and other commodity markets and offers bespoke consulting services and industry-leading conferences.
Companies in 140 countries around the world use Argus data to index physical trade and as benchmarks in financial derivative markets as well as for analysis and planning purposes.
Argus was founded in 1970 and is a privately held UK-registered company. It is owned by employee shareholders, global growth equity firm General Atlantic and Hg, the specialist software and technology services investor.
Our rapidly growing, award winning business offers a dynamic environment for talented, entrepreneurial professionals to achieve results and grow their careers. Argus recognises and rewards successful performance and as an Investor in People, we promote professional development and retain a high-performing team committed to building our success.
- Competitive salary and company bonus scheme
- Group medical, dental and vision plans
- Company paid long term disability and life insurance plan
- Group 401(k) safe harbor retirement plan with a 6% company match
- 15 vacation days your first year, which increases up to 25 days
- Subsidized gym membership
- Extensive internal and external training
If this aligns with your next career move, we’d love to hear from you.
Argus Media is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability. Equal Employment Opportunity Posters If you’d like to view a copy of the company’s affirmative action plan or policy statement, please contact us. If you have a disability and you believe you need a reasonable accommodation in order to search for a job opening or to submit an online application, please contact us. This email is provided exclusively to assist disabled job seekers whose disability prevents them from being able to apply online. Only messages sent for this purpose will be returned. Messages sent for other purposes, such as following up on an application or technical issues not related to a disability, will not receive a response.