Operations Research Analyst
WHAT IS THE SMALL BUSINESS/SELF EMPLOYED (SB/SE)DIVISION?
- A description of the business units can be found at: https://www.jobs.irs.gov/about/who/business-divisions
- The following are the duties of this position at the full working level. If you are selected at a lower grade level, you will have the opportunity to learn to perform these duties and will receive training to help you grow in this position.
- Participates in complex studies and is responsible for defining the problems involved, formulating the overall concepts, evaluating findings, and recommending solutions.
- Selects and applies mathematics, economics, econometrics, and/or statistics appropriate to solving operations research problems, such as the development of computerized mathematical resource allocation models (e.g. simulation), regression models, econometric projections, or workload forecasting models.
- Conducts operations research using well-established and innovative methods for identifying the probable causes of cost/workload variances and procedures for resolving variances.
- Consults with supervisor, other operations research analyst, and subject matter specialists to advise them on all aspects of problem-related studies and assignments. Such advice, both oral and written, includes the translation of broad and specific technical problems and considerations into language which allows for decisions and actions to be taken both timely and appropriately.
- Performs special studies of Service operations to identify mathematical applications to improve and/or enhance existing programs. Responsibilities in conducting these studies include determining the types of data to be collected, formulating study methodologies, recommending improvements to existing programs, assisting functional activities in the implementation of headquarters and field operational segments and analyzing data from a variety of sources.
- Provides technical guidance and coordinates the efforts of other analysts and subject-matter personnel involved in carrying out various aspects of assignments.