Junior Business Analyst
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
Business Services provides high-quality business services to support the Lab's research initiatives by participating in cross-functional teams with a focus on risk mitigation and cost management, which is a critical component to the Lab's success. Led by Chief Financial Officer George Clark, Brookhaven’s Business Services Directorate includes the Budget Office, Fiscal Services Division, Information Technology Division, and Procurement & Property Management Division. The Directorate manages a broad range of financial activities, including the planning and implementation of the Lab’s fiscal matters and its approximately $700 million annual budget.
The Business Services Directorate (BSD) has an opening for an Associate Business Specialist within the Environment, Biology, Nonproliferation and Nuclear Science (EBNN) Directorate and Advance Technology Research Office (ATRO) Business office. This individual will report to the Business Operation Manager that currently oversees the EBNN Directorate and ATRO Business Office.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assisting the Business Office Contract Administrator including:
- Processing purchase requisitions, which entails assisting the end user in obtaining supplies and services;
- Processing invoices ensuring that they are properly authorized by interacting with Accounts Payable (AP), Procurement and Property Management (PPM), and department personnel;
- Proactively monitoring, reporting and tracking procurements and contracts to closure.
- Assisting the lead Property Manager for the EBNN and ATRO area:
- Processing Master Property Records on a timely basis;
- Verifying property file for accuracy and making necessary changes to the property system;
- Assisting departmental staff with an Equipment Movement Request (EMR).
- Aiding the business staff by providing financial support including:
- Processing journal entries;
- Running financial reports;
- Assisting with timecard compliance and review.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance/business or directly related field or equivalent directly related experience based on 2:1 (experience: college) years.
- A minimum of two (2) years of previous relevant experience.
- Clear, concise, professional communication and interpersonal skills.
- Knowledgeable of GAAP/CAS/FAR requirements as related to areas of responsibility.
- Proficient in Excel and MS Office products.
- Applies independent judgment that demonstrates the ability to effectively prioritize and meet deadlines. Ability to establish routine contacts and provide detailed and complex information that will be used to make decisions of business consequence.
- Ability to identify and resolve issues encountered within own area of responsibility as well as review financial data and prepare meaningful financial reports.
- Should be a flexible team player who will successfully interact with both the scientific and business staff and will be motivated to assist Business Operation Manager as requests arise.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (ERP), including the extraction and reporting of data.
- Familiarity with PeopleSoft and the ability to generate queries and reports.
- Extensive knowledge of the Laboratory’s Financial system, policies and procedures.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans;
- Flexible Spending Accounts;
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave);
- Lab-funded Retirement Plan;
- 401(k) Plan;
- Flexible Work Arrangements;
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs;
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Ping Pong, Softball, Tennis).
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or protected veteran status.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file