Research Assistant III- AmeriCorps (CA)
The Research Assistant III (RA III) position will support research and evaluation activities related to community service programs funded by AmeriCorps, a federal agency, including new projects as they arise.
The RA III will support data collection, data management, project coordination, report writing and presentations. The RA III will recruit and maintain contact with survey participants, prepare data for analysis, conduct data analysis, and prepare tables and graphs for reports and presentations; retrieve documents, literature, and data for reports, memos and presentations; assist with the preparation and distribution of publications which may include design, layout, and copy-editing presentations or other printed materials. Tasks may also include maintaining and monitoring project work plans, timelines and schedules for data collection efforts; attending and preparing summary project meeting notes.
The Research Assistant III makes a difference by supporting data analysis and dissemination products for policy makers, program managers, service providers and researchers who use the information to make decisions that strengthen community-based programs. Daily, the Research Assistant III works in a dynamic, collaborative, fast paced research environment that generates and celebrates success. The team you will work with brings a rigorous and practical approach to assessing what works and what doesn’t in a community. The research assistant is a valued team member that collects, synthesizes, interprets, and disseminates results that allow communities to make real progress, especially rural communities and disadvantaged community members.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Support Data Collection Efforts
• Recruit study participants from diverse youth and adult populations.
• Collaborate with community service programs to identify potential participants.
• Initiate and maintain contact with current and potential study participants.
• Maintain database in MS Access or similar relational database.
• Collect, administer, and organize survey data, federal and from other sources.
• Assist paper or online survey development and tracking.
• Assist with qualitative data (e.g., interviews, focus groups) and provide logistical support
• With the oversight of the Project Director, coordinate and oversee the maintenance of data dictionaries, reviewing their completeness and accuracy. Maintain consistency and comparability of data over time.
• With oversight of the Project Director or senior staff, code qualitative data and check coded data for accuracy
• Enter/import data from multiple sources into MS Access databases and Excel spreadsheets.
• Create brief summaries of technical reports and documents for entry into project databases.
• Conduct data cleaning, formatting, labeling, and archiving.
• Prepare datasets for statistical analysis using SAS (e.g. meta-analysis; multi-level models; longitudinal data analysis).
• Prepare qualitative data for analysis.
• With oversight of Project Director monitor and maintain project work plans and timelines.
• Maintain project records and documentation.
• Assist Project Director in preparing monthly reports, agendas, and summary project meeting notes.
• Assist with quantitative and qualitative data analysis in SAS including performing or overseeing routine data checks.
• With oversight of Project Director, develop and maintain accurate and up-to-date data files and perform data analysis as needed for other projects.
• Create tables and graphs for reports and presentations as needed.
• Retrieve and compile documents, literature, resources, and data for methodological memos, reports and presentations.
• Assist with the preparation and distribution of methodological memos, methodological reports and other documents.
• Assist with the preparation and distribution of publications, which may include basic design, layout, and copy-editing presentations or other printed materials.
Assist in Other Project Services as Necessary
• When necessary, run MS Access queries, or generate reports in response to data information requests.
MINIMUM JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Language: English fluency
Education: Bachelor’s Degree plus 4 years’ relevant experience in a similar position or Master’s Degree with 1 year relevant experience required, preferably in Economics, Sociology, Community Psychology, Public Health, Statistics, Education, Social Sciences or a similar field.
Experience: Experience conducting quantitative research and evaluation in national service program, education or a related field.
Knowledge: Knowledge of research and evaluation design, and survey methods.
Software Proficiency: Demonstrate knowledge of SAS, Stata, or R (one year of statistical courses in college using SAS, Stata or R is acceptable in lieu of work experience using those software programs). Proficiency with MS Excel, MS Access, MS Word, and Power Point (especially graph and table proficiency), Alchemer, SurveyGizmo or similar online survey services. Familiarity with qualitative data collection and using qualitative data analytic software (e.g., ATLAS.ti) is a plus.
Soft Skills: Ability to handle one’s workload efficiently and deliver work products in a timely manner as agreed upon with the project team. Ability to communicate effectively, ability to work independently or work collaboratively with a team. Ability to work in fast paced environment with multiple deadlines and priorities. Must demonstrate initiative.
Location: Must be able to report to our San Mateo, California office, 2-3 days per week. Once office reopens, may need to report to office full time, depending on JBS return to work plan.
PREFERRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
Experience: In addition to the minimum qualifications, the candidate has at least 1 year experience performing statistical analysis with SAS; and experience conducting qualitative data collection (interviews, focus groups) and qualitative analysis using qualitative analytic software (e.g., ATLAS.ti) is a plus. Advanced experience with database development and management using MS Access or other tools and/or familiarity with SQL is also a plus. Previous work in a multi-cultural environment. Familiarity with and basic knowledge of non-profits and foundations, community service programs and volunteerism.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED: This position description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
This position is subject to availability of funds and to any and all restrictions contained in the contract or contracts that provide funding for this position.
At this time, we are unable to consider candidates from the following states: AK, AR, HI, IN, NH, OH, KY, LA, ME, MS, MO, MT, SD, ND, IA
If you meet the minimum requirements for this position, please click on link to our company ATS and complete the application. Please include a cover letter, resume, and at least three (3) professional references. APPLICATIONS THROUGH HANDSHAKE OR EMAIL WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED/REVIEWED.
Our company is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. Applicants can learn more about the company's status as an equal opportunity employer by viewing the federal "EEO is the Law" poster at EEOPost.pdf.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.
Equal Opportunity Employer–minorities/females/veterans/individuals with disabilities/sexual orientation/gender identity