Staff Scientist - BBE
Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Biostatistics, Bioinformatics and Epidemiology Program within the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division of Fred Hutch is seeking a Staff Scientist to serve as Protocol Statistician in support of the HIV Prevention Trials Network (HPTN) protocols, collaborate with scientists within the HPTN and develop creative solutions to statistical issues that arise within the HPTN. The mission of the HPTN is to identify acceptable, feasible, safe, effective, and scalable interventions for HIV prevention that address the needs of populations at risk in the US and around the world. Design strategies encompass both Phase 1-3 randomized trials for biomedical agents and implementation trials.
HIV disproportionately impacts the global South and racial and gender minorities in the US; current HPTN studies are based in southern Africa, MSM and transgender in the US, Latin America and Asia, and people who inject drugs in the US. We welcome applications that recognize the impact of HIV on these communities.
The Staff Scientist will contribute to the HPTN research agenda through independent and collaborative research. The incumbent may perform some or all of the following responsibilities:
- Contribute to science for the prevention of HIV through independent and collaborative research resulting in presentations and publications.
- Provide statistical leadership in protocol development, monitoring and reporting, including responsibility for data safety and monitoring reports.
- Mentor masters-level statisticians as necessary.
- Author and lead analyses based on protocol data, and contribute to the preparation of manuscripts
- Contribute statistical methods development arising from problems in HPTN science
- Maintain current knowledge of and contribute to advancements in the HIV prevention research field through participation in professional organizations, scientific conferences, reading industry journals, and publication of manuscripts
- Perform other tasks as required
- A successful candidate will have a Ph.D. or equivalent in biostatistics, epidemiology, or applied statistics is required.
- Experience working with geographically diverse collaborative groups within a clinical research environment preferred
- Prior knowledge of clinical trials, infectious diseases (e.g. polio, TB, HIV, etc.), and implementation science preferred
- Experience in both early- and late-phase clinical trials, and/or broad applied statistical methodological experience preferred
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your career or that will be made through work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.