High School Program Fellow - South Bronx United
Location: 192 E. 151st St, Fl. 5, Bronx, NY (in person programming with remote work outside of programming hours)
Dates: September 20 - December 10, 2021
Compensation: $825/week stipend
Deadline: July 18, 2021
Currently, South Bronx United is planning on having their fall program in person so as a fellow you would work in-person with some remote work during non-program hours. Due to COVID-19, FLIA and SBU may move the program to a hybrid or remote program depending on the current state of cases during the fellowship.
Future Leaders in Action Overview:
FLIA cultivates leaders and strengthens youth-oriented nonprofits and organizations through a fellowship program. Fellows, individuals interested in entering the social sector, work on-site full-time at a partner nonprofit to develop or implement a pre-determined enrichment program.
Throughout the fellowship, fellows gain various professional skills including fundraising, communication, program development, in a fast-paced, hands-on learning environment.
South Bronx United Overview:
South Bronx United uses soccer as a tool for social change. South Bronx United aims to help youth build character, teamwork, and leadership so that they can succeed in high school, college, careers, their community and beyond. South Bronx United strives to promote educational achievement, health and wellness, and character development through activities on and off the soccer field and to unite a diverse group of individuals and an incredibly diverse community toward common positive goals.
Position Overview and Responsibilities:
You will …
- Work to support the implementation of academic programming, specifically for high school students, as well as the rollout of a new individual academic advising system
- Implement systems for transcript collection from students
- Support and augment the current data tracking and entry including review and analysis of academic data to promote effective individual academic advising for students
- Support in review of all student academic data, specifically current grades, transcripts, credits, Regents Exams, SAT scores
- Actively participate in weekly FLIA professional development responsibilities including check-in calls and virtual weekly leadership workshops
- Attend leadership training retreat - hybrid of virtual and in-person with local fellows and FLIA
By the end of the fellowship, you will have …
- Completed 90% transcript collection, review and entry for High Schoolers
- Successful outreach to 90% of 9th grade school counselors to establish communication for successful transcript collection
- Fundraised $500 (with guidance and support from FLIA)
- Written two blog articles
- Completed final report and video
- Comfortable working with youth
- Commitment to continuous professional improvement and reflection
- Resourcefulness and initiative
- Passionate about the social sector
- Use patience and tolerance to address problems
- Demonstrate integrity
- Demonstrate ability to work independently and in a team
A consent to background check is required after a conditional job offer is made.
Future Leaders in Action is an equal employment opportunity employer, and women, people of color, LGBTQ and gender non-conforming people, people with disabilities, and people with unique lived experience or diverse professional or personal backgrounds and perspectives are encouraged to apply.