About this job
We are looking for a Data Scientist for our high growth start up - a great role for an early career Data Scientist or aspiring Data Engineer. The position reports to, and would work closely with, the President of the company. You would become very familiar with higher education data around improving student outcomes and earnings in the years following graduation.
The job is focused on a number of projects related to our data collection, construction and algorithmic AI efforts. You would focus on acquiring, collecting and structuring data files for ease of import into our algorithmic pricing system which feeds the bulk of the company's products, so your contributions would be immediately impactful to the success of the team. The job is full time, 40 hours a week and includes benefits.
Required skill sets:
Ideal candidate should have the following hard skills:
- A degree in a quantitative field: mathematics, computer science, physics, economics, engineering, statistics, operations research, quantitative social science, etc.
- Basic Knowledge on software development principles and architecture.
- Ability to break down and understand complex business problems, define a solution and implement it using advanced quantitative methods
- Familiarity with programming for data analysis; ideally Python, SQL, and R.
- Knowledge of Cloud technologies such as AWS.
Stand out qualities we’re looking for include:
- Good analytical and problem-solving abilities
- Comfortable proposing solutions and asking questions
- Willingness to dig into different projects - as a start up, we truly work to help each other succeed
- Continually intellectually curious and innovative thinker
- Ability to work independently to meet deadlines
- Detail driven and thoroughly accurate
- Solid oral and written communication skills, especially around analytical concepts and methods
- Desire to help shape the culture of a fast growing, socially impactful, mission-driven company
About Degree Insurance
Degree Insurance is a venture backed, high growth startup that has invented a novel insurance product that can guarantee a student's earnings in the 5 years following graduation. We sell the insurance directly to colleges, who use the confidence in a guaranteed outcome to recruit and retain students. Students will have the confidence to enroll and graduate, knowing that their degree is guaranteed to work for them. It's new, it's innovative, and it's changing the landscape of higher education.
We are currently licensed as an insurance company in 5 states (AZ, IL, ND, SD and UT) with other pending applications. The team (though small) and the mission to make sure that the investment in a college education pays off for ALL graduates - are both first rate.
Pay range: $30,000 - $40,000K/year
Location: Arlington Heights, IL
- Casual work environment
- Exceptional EMPLOYER-PAID medical, dental and vision insurance, including FSA options
- One Medical primary care clinic coverage
- Virtual health care
- 24/7 mental health and balanced lifestyle support
- Life and AD&D Insurance (supplemental life insurance available)
- Unlimited PTO and sick days
- Flexible hours, including WFH availability, after training period
- More benefits to come as we grow!