Training & Education Associate: AmeriCorps VISTA
California Center for Cooperative Development (CCCD) is a non-profit dedicated to promoting cooperatives as a vibrant business model to address the economic and social needs of California’s communities. CCCD helps people realize opportunities by working together through cooperative enterprises.
This position supports an economic development initiative, Co-op Home Care, a worker-owned cooperative of caregivers that will provide quality and compassionate home care services for elderly and disabled individuals in Yolo County, CA. The project is premised on the beliefs that people who need home care support deserve quality services from a consistent caregiver, and caregivers deserve work stability, livable wages, and positive working conditions.
The worker cooperative does much more than create jobs: it serves as a vehicle for helping people to help themselves, stimulating empowerment that helps members realize the skills and abilities they have to transform themselves and their families. Worker cooperatives are owned and controlled by the worker members; co-ownership and democratic control of the business offer life-changing opportunities for worker members.
Position Description: Training & Education Associate will work with the cooperative facilitator and members in developing a cohesive training plan that helps members monitor their business and prepares them to provide high quality professional in-home care services to clients. Position responsibilities include assisting with:
- designing a multi-year training program that incorporates the business plan, reflects the goals of the co-op, and includes caregiving and business management topics
- developing enduring training materials using a variety of mediums
- implementing the training curriculum and providing one-on-one or group trainings to worker-members
- organizing team-building activities, financial literacy and paraprofessional development workshops, and caregiving trainings and certification courses
- documenting model policies and procedures as they are ratified by the worker-members
- implementing curriculum so that it is effective in training members to become trainers
- promoting worker empowerment in a manner that maintains and strengthens trust between and among the non-profit and the co-op members
- maintaining accurate records of members and professional development
INFO ABOUT VISTA—AmeriCorp VISTA is an opportunity to provide service to improve communities while gaining valuable experiences and professional development training. The program provides a modest living allowance, healthcare benefit, and end of service award. Vistas are eligible for a NCE hiring path to Federal agencies. Eligible Vistas may also receive a relocation allowance and child care benefit. Details can be found here: https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorps-programs/americorps-vista/life-vista-member
WHEN & HOW TO APPLY: Applications will be reviewed as received, and accepted through 5pm, Monday, October 25. Expected start date is December 6, 2021.
Applicants will need to create an account on my.americorps.gov, if they don’t already have one: (https://my.americorps.gov/mp/recruit/registration.do).
Once you have registered, applicants will need to apply directly through the job listing on AmeriCorps website: https://my.americorps.gov/mp/listing/viewListing.do?fromSearch=true&id=94134
Once your application has been received and reviewed, you may be contacted by CCCD for an interview.
If you have any questions regarding your application, please email Jamie at email@example.com.
Education & Experience: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited school or university plus skills listed.
- Bilingual Spanish-English verbal and writing preferred (but not required)
- Excellent communication and people skills
- Excellent skills in using Excel, PowerPoint, and MS Word
- Experience and/or coursework in education approaches and techniques
- Experience with and/or keen interest in learning popular education philosophy and techniques
- Ability to professionally communicate verbally and in writing
- Self-motivated, highly organized, and detail oriented
- Team player with a collaborative spirit
- Able to set priorities and creatively problem-solve
- Ability and comfort with juggling multiple assignments in a fast-paced environment
CCCD Position: This is a full-time position with a year-long commitment. The VISTA will be expected to work 35 hours per week; weekdays and occasional weekends or evenings. The VISTA’s service will begin around 10/15/21 and continue through around 10/14/22. CCCD encourages professional growth through support to attend related conferences and trainings, reimbursement for work-related travel, as well as a monthly gift card to shop at the Davis Food Co-op. Holidays and time off is provided within the VISTA monthly living allowance.