Senior Data Scientist - Last Mile Delivery
Senior Data Scientist - Last Mile Delivery
Delivering groceries to our customers in as little as an hour. Traveling with an ice cream in 100 degrees Phoenix weather. Re-routing deliveries during snowstorms and Super Bowl. Sounds simple right?? Our Last-Mile team utilizes hundreds of data points to create connections between stores, customers, shoppers, and drivers.
As a Senior Data Scientist for Last-Mile Delivery at Walmart, you will help pioneer algorithms for capacity, cost, fulfillment, and transportation to make Walmart’s delivery platform one of the fastest and most reliable delivery services in the country. You will have access to our limitless global data and all the new data to be harvested from our customer and driver apps. You will create insights that not only influence how we make decisions but also create an impact at an unprecedented scale.
What you will work on…
Our Data Science team aims at maximizing the platform's efficiency through influencing supply and demand in real-time. This involves developing a fundamental understanding of driver and shopper behavior and creating pricing and incentives algorithms that incorporate both marketplace dynamics and supply preferences. The team utilizes ML, Economic Modeling, Simulation and Optimization, and relies on continuous exploration and experimentation to make data-driven decisions.
- Forecasting incoming demand of delivery and supply of available drivers in new and existing markets
- Optimizing pricing structure and algorithm to make pay fair and attractive for drivers
- Improving the accuracy of delivery times to reduce early and late deliveries
- Improving driver ranking and acceptance algorithms
- Understanding driver cohorts, driver lifetime value, and predicting driver churn
You’ll make an impact by…
- Working on analysis and modeling techniques, selecting the best fit for structured & unstructured data, and developing custom models to generate insights that drive value for our customers and unlock competitive advantage for our organization
- Collaborating with business partners and data engineers to gather the right information from various sources so that you can implement advanced statistical methodologies and design interventions to optimize how our business can perform at its best
- Conducting exploratory analysis including hypothesis testing, statistical inference, and statistical analysis (predictive and/or prescriptive)
- Partnering with business and technical stakeholders to translate challenging retail business problems into state-of-the-art data science solutions
- Automating tasks and developing processes that monitor, analyze, and continuously improve model performance and data accuracy
You’ll sweep us off our feet if…
- You’re an inquisitive and out-of-the-box thinker who is continually on the lookout for opportunities to improve and innovate data science solutions
- You have a spirit of entrepreneurship and can connect the what with the why
- You are adaptable and have the courage to fail fast
- You are observant and keep yourself up to date with emerging technologies
- You have a proven ability with statistical methods and advanced modeling techniques (e.g., Regression, Decision Trees, Random Forest, Clustering, NLP, Text Mining, etc.)
- You’re experienced with languages used to manipulate data and draw insights from large data sets (e.g., Python, R, SQL, etc.)
- You have storytelling experience with data visualizations in Tableau, Splunk, Kibana, etc.
Option 1 - Master’s degree in Data Science, Operations Research, Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science or related field and 2 years of experience in analytics related field.
Option 2 - Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Operations Research, Statistics, Economics, Analytics, Mathematics, Computer Science or related field and 4 years of experience in analytics related field.
Option 3 - 6 years of experience in analytics or related field.
PhD in Machine Learning, Operations Research, Applied Mathematics, Econometrics, or Computer Science. Projects or work experience in Monte Carlo Simulations, Deep Learning, Reinforcement Learning, Neural Networks, and Linear and Convex Optimization. Successful completion of one or more assessments in Python, Spark, Scala, or R. Experience with using open-source frameworks (for example, Scikit-Learn, TensorFlow, Torch)
Benefits & Perks:
Beyond competitive pay, you can receive incentive awards for your performance. Other great perks include 401(k) match, stock purchase plan, paid maternity and parental leave, PTO, multiple health plans, and much more.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Walmart, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer – By Choice. We believe we are best equipped to help our associates, customers and the communities we serve live better when we really know them. That means understanding, respecting and valuing diversity- unique styles, experiences, identities, ideas and opinions – while being inclusive of all people.
Who We Are:
Join Walmart and your work could help over 275 million global customers live better every week. Yes, we are the Fortune #1 company. But you’ll quickly find we’re a company who wants you to feel comfortable bringing your whole self to work. A career at Walmart is where the world’s most complex challenges meet a kinder way of life. Our mission spreads far beyond the walls of our stores. Join us and you'll discover why we are a world leader in diversity and inclusion, sustainability, and community involvement. From day one, you’ll be empowered and equipped to do the best work of your life. careers.walmart.com