2022 Analyst Development Program - Direct Investment Analyst
The Hamilton Lane Analyst Development Program is professional development program which begins with cohort based intensive training at our Philadelphia headquarters. Analysts work in one of six teams (Fund Investments, Secondary Investments, Direct Investments, Real Assets, Evergreen Portfolio Management or Private Market Analytics) in a role which progressively grows in responsibility and accountability over the three-year period.
Analyst roles are challenging. They are held to high standards and evaluated and coached regularly.
Once they’ve successfully completed the initial three-year assignment participants may:
- Be offered the opportunity stay at Hamilton Lane on an Associate track.
- Continue their education.
- Use the professional network and relationships created during the program to transition their career to another firm within the asset class.
Successful candidates are interested in institutional asset management, they have demonstrated excellence in their studies, activities and internships; they are intellectually curious, analytical, progressive, creative thinkers; they are energized by working in a team based environment; and they are exceptional communicators.
The Direct Investment team is responsible for evaluating direct investment opportunities. They monitor and report on existing investments as well as research and analyze new opportunities as part of a “Deal Team.” Direct Investment team members support senior “Deal Captains” and are exposed to a broad group of private equity fund managers.
As a first year Direct Investment Analyst, you will begin to develop the skills to assist deal teams with specific analyses of opportunities to invest directly into companies alongside private equity fund managers. You will receive exposure to private equity asset managers, called “General Partners”, and their targeted investments by analyzing investment materials, conducting desktop company and industry diligence and participating in on and off-site meetings with general partners and/or management teams.
First year Direct Investment Analysts responsibilities primarily include the following:
- Review of diligence materials supplied by fund managers and available through Hamilton Lane’s expansive database;
- Completion of desktop company and industry research
- Creation of model based financial forecasts, return sensitivities and other quantitative analyses;
- Monitoring of portfolio companies across several co-investment platforms and strategies (equity, credit and strategic opportunities);
- Assist with client requests pertaining to investment portfolios.
In addition to working on investment related projects, the Direct Investment Analyst will have the opportunity to work on special projects and other company initiatives.
Second year Direct Investment Analysts continue to build on the skills attained in their first year, however, as investment acumen develops they are expected to participate on deal teams in a more independent and sophisticated way. Second year analysts are considered the “point-person” on deal teams, they present and communicate investment opportunities to the wider Direct Investment team, and they manage and execute requests pertaining to client portfolios.
In their third year Direct Investment Analysts have developed their competencies, professionalism and investment acumen to the point where they take on a more senior role on deal teams. They are responsible for selecting, training and managing more junior analysts on the team, assisting with client training initiatives and contributing to broader firm- wide Hamilton Lane projects.
To be considered for Hamilton Lane’s Analyst Development Program, we require:
- High academic achievement: 3.0 or higher overall GPA required.
- Majors: We are interested in applicants who have demonstrated excellence in their chosen majors, have strong analytical talent, and are keenly interested in investments. We will consider all majors for our program; however, the following majors are preferred: Business, Finance, International Business, Accounting, Economics, Financial Engineering, Engineering, Mathematics.
- Language: English Fluency.
We are particularly interested in candidates who have demonstrated:
- On-Campus Leadership: in clubs, sports, community service, etc.
- Success in Professional Level Internships: with references to illustrate that success
- Language Skills: additional spoken and written languages.
- The ability to work in the US without sponsorship.
Applications must include a resume.
Only applications received through our website will be considered:
Learn more about the Hamilton Lane Analyst Development program by visiting: http://www.hamiltonlane.com/Analyst-Development-Program/