Machine Learning Engineer (Early Career)
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
Are you passionate about providing support to end-users and using quality principles in the development of solutions? Are you open to learning new toolsets in order to grow the impact you have on the organization? If so, you will want to consider applying for this opportunity.
We are seeking a Machine Learning Engineer to implement machine learning and deep learning algorithms and prototype applications relevant to mission programs at Sandia National Laboratories.
On any given day, you may be called on to:
- Implement algorithms from recent machine learning and deep learning literature
- Build machine learning prototypes for use in research assessments and experimentation
- Provide machine learning models for productionization teams
- Provide back end integration and productionization guidance to advance the capabilities
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field
- At least 6 months of experience in machine learning
- Experience in one or more machine learning frameworks such as Tensorflow, Pytorch, Keras and Scikit-learn
- Experience with Python and Linux environments
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience with implementation of the full software development process using iterative or agile methods
- Experience with large, complex scientific and technical software systems engineering, development and deployment
- Experience with text analytics, including preprocessing of unstructured information, dimension reduction techniques, and application of supervised/unsupervised algorithms
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills to identify creative solutions
- Experience building and maintaining diverse, teaming relationships at all levels of internal and external organizations
- Success in multi-functional teams to facilitate and drive integrated, multi-disciplinary solutions to complex operational problems
- Ability to communicate effectively and influentially to program partners in oral presentations, written analyses, concise reporting and visualizations
- Ability to prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects within appropriate scope and timeframe
- Ability to acquire and maintain a SCI clearance
About Our Team
The Machine Intelligence & Application Engineering department is responsible for providing state-of-the-art technologies and expertise in machine learning and application development to mission programs. The department provides application development and support in cyber security, computer vision, complex systems, machine learning, high performance computing and other mission spaces in support of Sandia's national security missions.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.