High Performance Data Storage Administrator (Early)
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum of seven (7) calendar days, including the ‘posting date’. Sandia reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.
What Your Job Will Be Like
The Data Management team in Sandia’s HPC Development department is seeking a High Performance Data Storage Administrator for an opening as a Computing Infrastructure Engineer. You will join a team designing, developing, and supporting our next-generation long-term data storage infrastructure. You will work with our HPC platform teams to design and deliver high performance end-to-end data lifecycle solutions. You will build and support a diverse array of systems enabling Storage Software tool development. You will support Sandia’s data transfer, storage, and tape systems and test, evaluate, and deploy new storage technologies to address Sandia’s evolving data needs.
On any given day, you may be required to perform the following:
- Deploy, maintain, upgrade and monitor many Linux virtual systems for High Performance Storage Systems (HPSS) and transfer tool development
- Support production HPSS admins in day-to-day high performance storage operations
- Administer high performance disk file servers and tape robotic systems, such as the SpectraLogic tape libraries and high performance tape drives
- Research, analyze and recommend hardware, software, and policies to advance our storage infrastructure
- Utilize scripting and automation skills
Qualifications We Require
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information Systems Engineering or relevant STEM field or equivalent experience with achievements that demonstrate the knowledge, skills and ability to perform the duties of the job.
- Three years’ experience managing Linux operating systems in a multi-user environment, including hardware and software setup, installation, upgrades, testing and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of VMware/vSphere virtual applications
- Familiarity with basic shell scripting
- Ability to acquire and maintain a DOE Q security clearance
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of one or more storage systems hardware components (e.g. SpectraLogic or Oracle robotics, Oracle/IBM tape drives, NetApp RAID, QLogic HBAs, direct-attach fiber).
- Intermediate knowledge of Linux/Unix operating systems
- Experience troubleshooting and replacing hardware, including DIMMs, disks, network cables, etc.
- Scripting experience (Shell, Python, PERL, or any other system-level scripting)
- Analyzing, quoting, recommending, and making hardware purchases
- Creating and querying databases
- Experience managing 25+ systems
- Experience administrating windows and mac environments
- Current DOE Q Security Clearance
About Our Team
The High Performance Computing (HPC) Development Department supports and develops innovative solutions for the operation and efficient utilization of leading and next-generation HPC computing systems. Our Data Management team develops solutions for local and wide area data transfer and for Sandia’s long term, big data storage needs.
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up to a maximum of seven years.
Individuals in LTE positions may bid on regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases may be converted to regular career positions during their term if warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation’s premier science and engineering lab for national security and technology innovation, with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
• Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to security, peace, and freedom worldwide
• Extraordinary co-workers
• Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in the world
• Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
• Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80 (work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and 4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks, part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working from home)
• Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits, competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life balance*
World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
*These benefits vary by job classification.
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and background review that includes checks of personal references, credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security clearance may be impacted.
Applicants offered employment with Sandia are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the requirements for access to classified information or matter if the duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned and subsequent termination of employment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran status and any other protected class under state or federal law.