Reports to: Preservation & Data Manager
FLSA Status: Full-Time (40 hours/week), Non-exempt
Preferred Start Date: Mid-October 2021
About the Position
The Research Assistant is responsible for assisting the Partnership’s Research Team with data collection and analysis. All of the work assigned will assist in the furthering the goals of the Research Team including but not limited to assisting the Partnership with:
- Assist in the maintenance and improvement of existing datasets and databases including the Preservation Database and the Housing Needs Dashboard;
- Performing analysis and research related to housing needs for low-income renters;
- Expanding housing preservation research and technical assistance; and
- Increasing efforts to analyze, strengthen, and communicate the benefits of affordable housing programs and policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Research policy, data, and technical issues related to the preservation, production, affordability, and sustainability of housing in California. This includes but is not limited to the collection and analysis of census, affordable housing, and related data;
- Assist in the maintenance and improvement of tracking and communication systems related to State Preservation Notice Law and preservation purchase opportunities
- Assist in the development of periodic reports, white papers, case studies, presentations, and action alerts to support the Partnership’s research and policy agendas;
- Provide research and technical support for policy initiatives of the President & CEO, and other Policy & Research team members; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Our ideal candidate for a Research Assistant at the Partnership is someone that:
- Is committed to racial and economic diversity, social justice, and affordable housing for all.
- Has personal and/or professional experience with low income and affordable housing issues.
- Is self-motivated, has the ability to work independently or as part of a team, and is able to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Is enthusiastic about building relationships with key stakeholders and partners.
- Has experience analyzing data using programs such as STATA, Python and R.
- Has experience with GIS mapping software, preferably QGIS.
- Has experience with FileMaker.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in public policy, planning, statistics, economics, sociology, public or business administration, or a related field.
- Interest in developing familiarity and skills in policy analysis and research, state and local policy issues, and various data sources integral to the Research Team’s work.
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Proficiency with Mac OS and Microsoft Office products including Excel and Word
- Able and willing to travel within California (post-Covid pandemic restrictions).