Are you passionate and curious about synthetic biology? Are you looking for an opportunity to explore and improve a highly automated research pipeline? Help scale fermentation-derived small molecule products from the bench to manufacturing by becoming an essential part of our research team in Emeryville.
The SCAN Fitness team is looking for a process-minded individual to drive ‘fit-for-purpose’ data quality efforts across the Amyris research and development pipeline. The successful candidate will work cross-functionally with scientists, software engineers, data scientists, and project stakeholders to identify, evaluate, improve, and control key workflows and help us get more out of the experiments we run.
This role requires an individual who is curious and can rapidly learn and understand new technologies and processes holistically – from the procedures in the laboratory to how the data is captured and stored, to the data analysis and consequent decisions that are made. A successful candidate will be highly independent and capable of partnering with others across the R&D and Process Development teams to help Amyris deliver ‘No Compromise’ products derived from sugarcane.
- Support the Screening and Analytics Capabilities (High Throughput Screening, Fermentation, Bio-analytics, Chromatography, Process Analytical Chemistry) in implementation of operational and fit-for-purpose quality control
- Identify and address gaps in measurement or workflow quality that may significantly impact decision-making
- Perform relevant analyses to measure and evaluate the performance of a complex biological and/or analytical process
- Collaborate with bioinformatics and software engineering to develop infrastructure that streamlines and automates quality control across the pipeline
- Explore, develop, and validate novel approaches to evaluating data quality. Drive implementation and adoption by providing training and documentation in collaboration with other research teams
- Influence laterally and upwards to ensure quality is a priority in our fast-paced environment
- Provide consult to scientists and project leaders to help them understand the capability of our screening platform and design better experiments
- Ensure and improve real-time reporting of measurements / assays / workflows quality status.
- Document relevant work and analyses
- MS Degree in Science/Engineering or related field with 5+ years experience in relevant industrial role
- Familiarity with culture platforms (plate and bioreactor scale) and analytical techniques (sample preparation, GC-FID, HPLC/UPLC, MS, IC), lab automation, and LIMS/ELNs
- Deep understanding of the importance of precision and accuracy in analytical measurements
- Proficient with SQL and common software for data analysis and visualization, primarily JMP and Spotfire
- Statistics: Measurement system analysis (variance analysis), design of experiments, power analysis, linear regression and modelling, hypothesis testing, statistical process control
- Ability to think holistically about a process – from request to data to decision
- Technical writing
- Ability to both effectively communicate and educate a broad audience on technical topics
- Drive change in the organization through influence, often across teams and departments
- Strong communication skills to collaborate across diverse technical functions (software engineering, biology, analytical chemistry, etc.)
- Follow Amyris Safety Policies and Procedures
- Familiarity with R or Python a plus
- Background and/or experience with quality principles (e.g., six sigma) a plus