Graduate Lighting Consultant (Available 2022)
Start Here, Go Anywhere!
Want to work for a company that invests in innovation and people who catalyze impact in the built environment? Arup is proud to be recognized by Fast Company in their third annual Best Workplaces for Innovators list, which honors businesses and organizations that demonstrate a deep commitment to encouraging innovation at all levels.
We find solutions for some of the world’s most complex problems. From climate action to social value, we consider the broadest impacts of our work. We strive to build a more sustainable, resilient, and equitable future. This purpose shapes our culture and has made us leaders in sustainable development. You’d be joining our multi-disciplinary design teams focusing on technical excellence and innovative solutions that create a better future for people, places, and the planet.
During your career at Arup, you’ll have the chance to engage in a fulfilling career and work with some of the most highly respected engineers and specialists in the world. You’ll also get the opportunity to work on exciting and significant projects, delivering quality work that has a positive and lasting influence on the community and the environment.
Our lighting team performs comprehensive design, from initial strategic advice and concept development through construction documents and on-site support. With our design ideas and expertise, lighting becomes the fourth dimension of architecture, integrating and enhancing designs. Our approach operates at the crossroads of art, science and technology. With sustainable design outcomes always in mind, we combine conceptual design thinking, technical expertise, and advanced digital techniques to make buildings expressive, coherent and visually strong to engage with people.
Responsibilities of this specific role will include, but not be limited to the following:
- Develop concepts and strategies for lighting projects, with senior team members
- Lighting calculations (Electrical and Daylighting)
- Produce lighting modeling including building computer and physical models (3-D and 2-D)
- Develop visual materials to represent lighting designs, including inside of Photoshop and Adobe Suite
- Report writing
- Working on projects using Revit
- Giving initial structure to ideas through testing and using spreadsheets, reports, sketching and analyses for discussion
- Working with vendors to gain knowledge on new subjects and assist in facilitating meetings
- Attending meetings and learning from listening, participating with teams, architects and other disciplines
- Bachelor or Master's Degree in Architecture, Architectural Engineering, Interior Design, Lighting, or Theatre design
- 3.0 GPA or higher
- Core interest in the lighting design industry with an emphasis on the daylighting, theatre or architectural lighting design
- Understanding of lighting fundamentals including photometric quantities, calculation techniques, and light source types
- Ability to model in 3D via Rhino, AutoCAD, and/or SketchUp
- Knowledge of MS word, Excel, AGI 32, Revit and Adobe Suite
- Capability to explain spatial design in a conversational and visual context
- Coursework in Architectural or Lighting Systems Design and/or Building Systems Design
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills essential for team-based working
- Candidate must not require sponsorship, now or in the future to be considered for this role
- Internship experience in a consulting firm with emphasis on lighting design
- Academic research with relevant focus
- Membership in IES and Student IALD
- Experience with AutoCAD, Revit, Radiance, and technical writing
- Exposure to programming such as, but not limited to, PHP, Python, C+, C#
- Presentation skills with colleagues and clients of all levels
- The ability to prioritize effectively, balance assigned work and exceptional organization skills required for our constantly evolving environment
- Skilled in hand sketching
For over seven decades Arup has been at the forefront of the most ambitious and innovative design and engineering. From concert halls to national stadiums, renewable energy to driverless cars, we continue to add to that history every day.
- LAX Expansión, Los Angeles
- Marina Del Ray Hospital, Los Angeles
- Bay Meadows Parks, San Francisco
- Confidential Tech Company Campus Cupertino, CA
- Louisiana Children's Museum - Early Learning Village, Louisiana
- Sea Change at North Vancouver, BC, Canada
- Whitney Museum of American Art, New York
- Dilworth Park featuring Pulse, Philadelphia
- Northeastern University ISEC, Boston
- 1.8 Sculpture, DC
- Kaiser Permanente San Diego Central Hospital, San Diego
- WPI Foisie Innovation Studio and Messenger Hall, Worchester, MA
- Penn State’s Art Museum at The Arboretum, State College, PA
Flexible Working - We believe that flexible arrangements create a more inclusive way of working that supports our diversity and the wellbeing of our people. Options include alternative schedules, part-time or reduced hours schedule, and/or the ability to work remotely for a portion of your work week.
Upon joining Arup your journey is likely to be varied and rewarding, giving you the opportunity to make a positive difference in the world. Arup offers many benefits to eligible FT employees, some of which are outlined below:
- Global Profit Share - paid out bi-annually
- Personal Health Insurance
- 401(k) - with a dollar-for-dollar company match up to 10%
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Professional Membership and Certification reimbursement
Arup is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law. Individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation. Should you require an accommodation in the job application or interview process please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.