2022 Accounting Summer Analyst Program (Tempe)
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2020). In the Americas, we’re 13,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, developing positive relationships built on integrity and respect. It’s part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. We’re a team that accepts responsibility for the future by asking the tough questions and owning the solutions. Join MUFG and be empowered to make your voice heard and your actions count.
Financial Management of the Americas is committed to being a world-class leader in finance: providing timely and accurate decision support to enterprise business initiatives; leading transformational change and acting as a source of challenge to encourage operational excellence; being reliable stewards of scarce enterprise resources.
Summer Analyst Program Overview
Our 10-week Accounting Controllers Summer Analyst Program begins in early June and is designed to provide rising seniors with hands-on experience and the responsibility to complete an individual project. You will be placed in a specific group that allows you to concentrate and quickly develop the skills and knowledge required to become an integral part of the team. You will work alongside MUFG professionals at all levels who will serve as your instructors and mentors. In addition to the responsibilities within your assigned role, you will also work with other Summer Analysts and have the opportunity to participate in team meetings, attend training sessions, and network across the company.
In addition to in-depth training for your particular project, you will also have opportunities to attend learning sessions led by experts within in the bank. As an employee at MUFG, you will also have access to our online training platform which offers hundreds of courses ranging from Excel to Leadership Development.
Support & Mentorship
Your assigned manager will provide goals and professional development guidance and conduct performance reviews as a commitment to our summer analysts. In our open and inclusive environment, senior colleagues will know the summer analysts and will see the work being done. You will have the opportunity to network with employees across different business lines and at all levels of the organization. At the end of the program, you will obtain a better understanding of how your role can play a part in the success of the bank. You will be paired with a mentor and a buddy to assist you in your work throughout the summer.
Top-performing summer analysts may qualify to receive a full-time Analyst job offer to join the Controllers accounting group after graduation. Our Controllers Summer Analyst Program is also a common route into the Controller Rotational Development Program, which provides three years of additional full-time experience while enabling you to pursue your CPA license (if academic qualifications are met). MUFG benefits include reimbursement for CPA review materials and exam costs.
General Role Description:
The Controllers Department at MUFG supports many core components of the bank’s accounting processes – preparing the financial statements and reporting. Summer Analyst projects may be related to:
- Controls Assurance & Advisory: manages the bank’s SOX framework
- Regulatory Reporting: produces the bank’s regulatory reporting schedules
- Consumer Banking: maintains accounting over consumer lending products
- Commercial Lending: maintains accounting for commercial and wholesale lending businesses
- Leasing: maintains accounting for assets the bank leases to companies
- Allowance for Credit Losses: oversees the accounting processes regarding the estimate of losses in the lending portfolio
- Mergers & Acquisition (M&A) Accounting: participates in target analysis, and performs acquisition accounting subsequent to acquisitions
- Transaction Banking & Deposits: manages accounting processes where the bank facilitates transactions on behalf of customers, and also managing the banks deposits (liabilities)
- Treasury: maintains the accounting for the bank’s securities investment portfolio on behalf of the Treasury function, to manage liquidity and interest rate risks.
In order to qualify for this role, we expect that you will be able to demonstrate the following required knowledge, skills and abilities during the application process.
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics or other related field with an expected graduation date between Winter 2022 and Spring 2023.
- Strong academic standing, minimum 3.0 GPA
- Self-starter with the ability to synthesize ambiguous information and develop creative solutions, both within a team and independently.
- Excellent social, verbal, and written communication skills so you can effectively articulate your thoughts when working alongside multiple business partners.
- Proficiency with Excel, Access, Word, and PowerPoint
Ability to distinguish yourself by highlighting the following preferred knowledge, skills and abilities during the application process
- Working towards CPA or MS in Accountancy
- Leadership experience working on a team: projects, extra-curricular activities
- Prior accounting-related and regulatory accounting/reporting experience, which could include:
- General ledger experience
- Month-end / quarter-end close
- Journal entry preparation
- Financial and regulatory reporting
- Internal control frameworks
- Prior analytics experience
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it’s the bank’s policy to only inquire into a candidate’s criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.