2022 Finance Summer Analyst Program (Los Angeles)
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2020). In the Americas, we’re 13,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, developing positive relationships built on integrity and respect. It’s part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater
innovation, speed and agility. We’re a team that accepts responsibility for the future by asking the tough questions and owning the solutions. Join MUFG and be empowered to make your voice heard and your actions count.
Financial Management of the Americas is committed to being a world-class leader in Finance: providing timely and accurate decision support to enterprise business initiatives; leading transformational change and acting as a source of challenge to encourage operational excellence; being reliable stewards of scarce enterprise resources.
Key areas of opportunity within Financial Management include Financial Planning & Analysis, Procurement, Treasury and business unit CFO teams supporting Commercial and Consumer Banking, Wholesale Bank and the Support Units. As part of an Internship in Financial Management, you will learn how we maintain a disciplined approach to analyzing, managing, and reporting financial information. We attract, develop, and retain a high performing team committed to applying our key principles in all Finance functions, and your experience in an Internship could lead to a future career in Finance within the bank. We are seeking high achievers who are intellectually curious, enthusiastic, and have a strong work ethic and who work well in a team-oriented environment to help drive our business forward.
Summer Analyst Program Overview:
Our 10-week Finance Summer Analyst Program begins in early June and is designed to provide rising seniors with hands-on experience and business exposure in the world of Financial Management. You will be placed in a specific group that allows you to quickly develop the skills and knowledge required to become an integral part of the team. You will work alongside MUFG professionals at all levels who will serve as your managers and mentors. In addition to the responsibilities within your assigned role, you will also work with other Summer Analysts and be partnered with members of the Next Generation Leaders Employee Relations Group who provide additional mentorship to assist you in furthering your career development.
In addition to in-depth training in your particular tasks and projects, you will have the opportunity to attend learning sessions led by Finance leaders at the bank throughout the 10 weeks. As an employee at MUFG, you will also have access to our online training platform which offers hundreds of courses ranging from Excel to Leadership Development.
Support & Mentorship:
Your assigned manager will provide goals and professional development guidance and conduct performance reviews as a commitment to our summer analysts. You will have the opportunity to network with employees across different business lines and at all levels of the organization. In our open and inclusive environment, senior colleagues will know who you are and will see the work you do. By the end of the summer, you will leave with a better understanding of the world of finance. You will be paired with a mentor and a buddy to assist you in your work throughout the summer.
At the end of the program, top-performing summer analysts may qualify to receive an offer for full time employment upon graduation. Depending on your area of interest, offers may be into a defined full time analyst position in one of our Finance groups or into a two-year analyst rotational program, enabling you to gain exposure across several Finance disciplines.
- Americas Financial Planning & Analysis: manages budgeting, forecasting, and performance analysis across the Americas region. Partners with Home Office and Business Unit CFO teams to set financial targets in line with business strategy and provide analytics to evaluate profitability and efficiency. Establishes the rules and governance framework for a consistent Americas-wide client, product and business profitability view.
- Procurement: manages how the bank buys goods and services, with a focus on containing costs across the enterprise
- Treasury: manages liquidity and interest rate risks on behalf of the bank; manages market risks, supports earnings and executes on macro business strategies
- Business Unit CFO Teams: responsible for management reporting, forecasting and financial analysis. Acts as a strategic partner to each function to assist in business decisions. Teams support each of the functions across the Americas region, including Commercial and Consumer Banking, Wholesale Banking and the Support Units, including Technology, HR, and Risk
- Business Unit Risks & Controls: reviews and assesses effectiveness of operational risks specific to Finance processes
In order to qualify for this role, we expect that you will be able to demonstrate the following required knowledge, skills and abilities during the application process.
- Strong interest in Banking and Finance career paths
- Currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Economics, Data Analytics or other related field with an expected graduation date between Winter 2022 and Spring 2023
- Solid academic standing, minimum 3.0 GPA
- Self-starter with the ability to synthesize ambiguous information and develop creative solutions, both within a team and independently
- Excellent social, verbal, and written communication skills so you can effectively articulate your thoughts when working alongside multiple business partners.
- Microsoft Suite proficiency (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
Ability to distinguish yourself by highlighting the following preferred knowledge, skills and abilities during the application process
- Leadership experience working on a team: projects, extra-curricular activities
- Prior finance-related and data analysis experience, which could include:
- Financial or managerial reporting
- Forecasting, budgeting and expense management
- Variance analysis and commentary
- Strategic business planning
- Procurement, Sourcing or Supply Chain
Statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it’s the bank’s policy to only inquire into a candidate’s criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.