Postdoctoral Postdoctoral Research Associate for Accelerator Development
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the NSLS-II Accelerator Division is to support NSLS-II user operations and further improvement of the machine performance and reliability. NSLS-II is now one of the brightest light sources in operation worldwide. However, many light sources are in the process of their upgrades promising much brighter beams than NSLS-II is able to provide. In order to maintain the competitiveness of NSLS-II, we are exploring potential ways to increase the maximum brightness and photon flux of NSLS-II.
The NSLS-II Accelerator Division has an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to participate in our research programs focused on the advanced lattice design and beam dynamic studies in circular and single-pass accelerator facilities. In particular, the successful candidate will participate in the design and analysis of electron optics for various applications, focusing on particle tracking through complex optical systems together with the associated magnet design. The appointment will be for 2 years.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support LDRD projects in the area of lattice and magnet design for a Free Electron Laser option of the NSLS-II upgrade
- Contribute to the start-to-end computer simulations of the ultrafast electron microscope to explore the aberration control and extent of tolerances for the RF, mechanical and magnetic elements of the lattice
- Give presentations and report ongoing work
- Present technical papers at conferences and publish articles in scientific journals.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ph.D. degree in Physics or related discipline, with a focus in accelerators and particle beam physics
- Experience with simulations of beam dynamics in particle accelerators
- Familiarity with analytical and computational tools for particle tracking
- Basic knowledge of FEL physics
- Ability to perform simulations and analyses of the physical processes being studied.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of particle tracking and FEL codes: MAD, ELEGANT, GPT
BNL policy requires that research associate appointments be made to individuals who have received their doctorate within the past five years.
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Care Plans
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Paid Time-off and Leave Programs (vacation, holidays, sick leave, paid parental leave)
- 401(k) Plan
- Flexible Work Arrangements
- Tuition Assistance, Training and Professional Development Programs
- Employee Fitness/Wellness & Recreation: Gym/Basketball Courts, Weight Room, Fitness Classes, Indoor Pool, Tennis Courts, Sports Clubs/Activities (Basketball, Table Tennis Pong, Softball, Tennis)
Brookhaven National Laboratory and the Energy and Photon Sciences Directorate are committed to your success. We offer a supportive work environment and the resources necessary for you to succeed.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Brookhaven employees are subject to restrictions related to participation in Foreign Government Talent Recruitment Programs, as defined and detailed in United States Department of Energy Order 486.1A. You will be asked to disclose any such participation at the time of hire for review by Brookhaven. The full text of the Order may be found at: https://www.directives.doe.gov/directives-documents/400-series/0486.1-BOrder-a/@@images/file