Senior Technology Analyst Technology Engineer
Brookhaven National Laboratory (www.bnl.gov) delivers discovery science and transformative technology to power and secure the nation’s future. Brookhaven Lab is a multidisciplinary laboratory with seven Nobel Prize-winning discoveries, 37 R&D 100 Awards, and more than 70 years of pioneering research. The Lab is primarily supported by the U.S. Department of Energy’s (DOE) Office of Science. Brookhaven Science Associates (BSA) operates and manages the Laboratory for DOE. BSA is a partnership between Battelle and The Research Foundation for the State University of New York on behalf of Stony Brook University.
The mission of the Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) group is to provide computational support for BNL scientific programs.
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is the scientific extreme scale Data Laboratory in the US. with over 150 PB of archived data.The Scientific Data & Computing Center (SDCC) at BNL hosts the largest scientific data archive in the US and the 3rd largest worldwide. In contrast to many others, this is an active archive were we continuously reuse all the data in the archive. In 2018, we analyzed 500PB of data on site. This data comes largely from the many scientific user facilities that we support at BNL such as: the unique nuclear physics experiment RHIC, the brightest synchrotron in the world NSLS II, the largest Tier 1 center for the LHC Atlas experiment, the Japanese particle physics experiment Belle II, the Center for Functional Nano Materials and the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. As a result we have a lively, fast growing data science research program at BNL, with a specific focus on the challenges presented by the analysis, interpretation and use of data at extreme scales and in real time. The data science program is accompanied by significant computational modeling research effort, in support of the design, planning, analysis and interpretation of experiments and their results. The Computational Science Initiative (CSI - https://www.bnl.gov/compsci/ [www.bnl.gov]) provides the laboratory wide umbrella for these activities, bringing together computer scientists, applied mathematicians and domain scientists to carry out leading edge research, convert research results into practical solutions that advance domain science and provide the necessary computing infrastructure services and training to support efficient operation.
The SDCC is currently looking for a Technology Engineer/Advanced Technology Engineer to contribute to storage support activities at the SDCC within the Nuclear Particle Physics Directorate (NPP). Responsibilities include assisting with the operational responsibilities of Storage team, monitoring and deployment of storage resources, integrating new access tools to storage system and participating in the evaluation, adoption of new storage technologies. This position has a high level of interaction with an international and multicultural scientific community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist with operational responsibilities of the Storage team with a focus on storage support and development
- Perform hardware/software deployments, upgrades, configuration, monitoring, management, performance tuning and ongoing support of storage resources
- Assist with software maintenance to support operations and improve automation
- Support the evaluation, adoption and operation of new storage technologies
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in physics, computer science or related discipline OR equivalent experience
- A minimum of three years full time relevant experience
- Familiarity with Linux system administration
- Familiarity with a programming language, such as C/C++, Python and Java
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Familiarity with operations of high-availability storage technology
- Experience with data analytics tools
- Experience with software version control and configuration management systems such as Git, Puppet, etc
- Virtualization and container software (VMWare, RHEVM, Singularity, Docker, etc)
- Willingness to perform physically demanding work occasionally
- Demonstrated ability to work independently in a collaborative environment with time-sensitive deadlines
- Occasional travel (foreign and domestic) is required.
- Appointment level will be commensurate with experience and qualifications
At Brookhaven National Laboratory we believe that a comprehensive employee benefits program is an important and meaningful part of the compensation employees receive. Our benefits program includes, but is not limited to:
- Medical Plans
- Dental Plans
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Retirement Plan
- Paid Parental Leave
- Swimming Pool, Weight Room, Tennis Courts, and many other employee perks and benefits
Brookhaven National Laboratory (BNL) is an equal opportunity employer that values inclusion and diversity at our Lab.We are committed to ensuring that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, status as a veteran, disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.
BNL takes affirmative action in support of its policy and to advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.We ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.Please contact us to request accommodation.
*VEVRAA Federal Contractor