Toggle Data Engineer- Summer Internship 2022
We are Farmers!
Join a team of diverse professionals at Farmers to acquire skills on the job and apply your learned knowledge to future roles at Farmers. Farmers Insurance also offers extensive training opportunities through the award winning University of Farmers named by Training magazine amongst top 10 corporate training units in the world.
Do you love working with data? Are you passionate about building products that are geared towards your generation? Come check us out at Toggle!
We are looking for data-savvy, innovative, problem solving, analytical individuals to join our Toggle Data Squad summer internship program!
Toggle Insurance (www.gettoggle.com, IG: @gettoggle) launched in 2018 as a new division of Farmers Insurance – a tech start-up designing products and services for the next generation consumer (like you!). Our current product offerings include renters and auto insurance, with a mission to expand our footprint nationally. The team is comprised of a diverse group of rock stars coming from varying backgrounds with industry experience ranging from 1 to 30 years and a broad set of specialized skills across Product, Marketing, Actuarial, Underwriting, IT, Claims, and Legal.
The Toggle Data Squad is responsible for identifying and transforming the data piped through our current cloud technology stack into powerful insights for the team.
Essential Job Functions
What you’ll do:
- Support the Toggle Data Squad with day to day operational and project-based work that will impact our company goals and strategy.
- Develop SQL queries on our Snowflake Cloud Data warehouse platform to unravel and transform unstructured and semi-structured data.
- Support the design and development of data-centric applications using various technologies and workflows including Fivetran, DBT, Snowflake, and Segment (among others).
- Ensure efficiency and accuracy of processes through scripts and other ETL methodologies.
- Architect and develop automated solutions the deliver operational efficiencies over time
- Cultivate insights from our data and that of our strategic partners like Carvana and Credit Karma
What you’ll bring:
- A strong command of SQL
- Experience with programming and/or scripting languages: Python, Java, etc
- Exposure to cloud platforms and data warehouses (Snowflake, Redshift, AWS, etc)
- Critical thinking and investigative mindset needed to create reusable solutions to problems.
- Self-motivated, methodical individuals with attention to detail and effective time-management skills, with the ability to work independently and in teams regardless of a remote or in-person internship.
- A high degree of initiative, growth-mindset, and strong technical aptitude.
- Strong interpersonal skills including written communication and verbal communication skills.
- Must be currently enrolled in a full-time degree program pursuing a BS/BA or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field with a graduation date no earlier than December 2021
- GPA of 3.0 or greater on a 4.0 scale
- Ability to work eight to twelve weeks during the summer
- Eligible to work in the United States
Backed by the support, credibility and stability of a 90+ year old company, Toggle is looking for aspiring data engineers to join our amazing culture and become a part of the Farmers family. We have a dynamic employee resource groups (Black Professionals Alliance, LGBT & Allies, Somos Farmers, Toastmasters, Women’s Inclusion Network, and more), tons of dining and shopping within walking distance, and more! This internship could be held virtually based on external circumstances due to Covid and the success we had with our 2021 virtual internship.