Supply Chain - Packaging Engineer Fall Co-op
Who Are We:
Cummins Inc., a global power leader, is a corporation of complementary business segments that design, manufacture, distribute and service engines and related technologies, including fuel systems, controls, air handling, filtration, emission solutions and electrical power generation systems.
At Cummins, innovation is ingrained in our culture, mission, vision and values. Our commitment to innovation dates back 100 years, to when Clessie Cummins first applied inventive ideas to improvements that advanced the diesel engine.
Throughout the 100-year history of our company, our product innovations have enabled us to provide customers the products they need to be successful. We take the time to understand our customers, and then exceed their expectations by always being the first to market with the best products.
Cummins' customers are located in approximately 190 countries and territories around the globe that the company reaches through a network of more than 600 company-owned and independent distributor locations and approximately 7,200 dealer locations. Cummins was founded in 1919 in Columbus, Indiana. Today, the company employs more than 58,000 employees worldwide.
New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) stock symbol: CMI.
What would a Packaging Engineer do at Cummins?
The Packaging Engineering role at Cummins is rather new. In the past several years the company saw a direct need for people to pay attention to not only how we were shipping finished products but also to address the thousands of supplier parts shipped from around the globe. Getting the parts to our facilities in one piece is only part of the task at hand – getting the part to the production line the way it is needed is the tricky part. Bringing a sharp supply chain mindset into the role is critical for success. Marrying all aspects of the package from parts protection, right sizing it for line side presentation, sustainability, cost and ease of use are all part of the job. With more than 50,000 parts there is no shortage of diversity in packaging type. Our engineers are experts in corrugated, wood, rust prevention, thermoforming, specialized steel racks, returnable container systems and hazardous materials to only name a few.
As a Packaging Engineering Intern, you would be a part of the Global Planning and Logistics Group, which includes more than 40 engineers and technicians responsible for all aspects of Packaging.
Cummins Packaging Engineers interface with all aspects of the business including Quality, Supply Chain, Purchasing, Marketing, Operations, Warehousing, Shipping, Regulatory and Six Sigma. This is a fast-paced opportunity that will include operational activities as well as packaging systems development.
This is a great opportunity for anyone that wants to be challenged and enjoys the feeling of accomplishment – being able to see your finished work in action when the package system goes live.
After the internship is completed, you will walk away with an incredible amount of experience that will be applicable to many industries. Knowledge will be gained on operational efficiency, Quality, project management, design & development, and materials selection.
- Assist with the development of global strategic packaging projects.
- Collaborate with other departments including Operations, Suppliers, Quality and Purchasing for packaging project inputs.
- Communicate plans to manager and collaborate for the best delivered packaging solutions
- Evaluate performance indicators that will drive package optimization.
- Maintain organized activity logs and help develop best practices within the role.
- Participate in information technology activities that will help enhance the organization of packaging information.
- Minimum completion of sophomore year at an accredited university, being enrolled in a Packaging Science curriculum or other engineering function related to packaging.
- Good working knowledge and experience using Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- CAD or other drawing software a plus but not required.
- Knowledge of ASTM and ISTA test procedures.
- Ability to work in a manufacturing environment on a regular basis.
- Familiar with safety expectations and expected to work in a safe manner always (training will be available).
- Familiar with Six Sigma and Lean principles.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Capable of giving well planned presentations to upper managers (Typically PowerPoint or actual demonstrations at a manufacturing site.)
Where would this position be located?
Cummins corporate offices are located in Columbus, Indiana – an approximately 40-minute drive south of downtown Indianapolis. Columbus is the main hub of activities for Packaging, with four sites located within a 20-minute drive.
The area offers many activities including Brown County State Park where outdoor activities abound. Other entertainment options include the excitement of downtown Indianapolis which touts renowned professional sports teams including the Colt, Pacers, AAA Baseball Indians, Indy 11 Soccer and the minor league hockey team - the Indy Fuel…not to mention the most famous race track in the world, the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The Indianapolis Metro area is considered a “Foody Town” with many delectable options from fine dining to craft brew pubs. Multiple concert venues are a short drive away with a full line-up of internationally known artists on their schedules.
Other sites that have had Packaging interns and co-ops in the past and may be the site for this year’s placement include;
- Memphis Tennessee’s Distribution Center, which is a mecca for Blues music festivals, world class BBQ and a plethora of outdoor activities centered around the mighty Mississippi River and inland parks. If watching sporting events is something you like, professional sporting clubs such as the NBA Memphis Grizzlies, Triple-A Memphis Redbirds (St. Louis Cardinals affiliate) and the Memphis 901 FC of the USL Championship Soccer league can be found here, not to mention several NCAA Division I teams.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota is where our Power Generation systems are manufactured. Minneapolis is a great location for outdoor activities as the area boasts more lakes and parks than just about anywhere is the country. If you are a sports fan, the NFL’s Vikings Football, MLB’s Twins Baseball, NBA’s Timberwolves Basketball and the NHL’s Wild Hockey are minutes away. Minneapolis also has a renowned music scene in many of the large and smaller venues in the area.
- Jamestown, New York boasts a hotbed for engine manufacturing for Cummins. This is also a Zero Disposal site so packaging sustainability if critical at this location. Jamestown is short 1-1/2 hour drive from Buffalo, NY and Niagara Falls. There are plenty of activities around this location including water activities on Chautauqua Lake, and hiking nearby trails.
- Historic Charleston, South Carolina is where the Cummins Turbo Technology sites are located. Known for its rich history, well-preserved architecture, distinguished restaurants, and hospitable people, Charleston is a popular tourist destination. It has received numerous accolades, including
o America's Most Friendly City by Travel + Leisure in 2011
o The most polite and hospitable city in America by Southern Living magazine
o In 2016, Charleston was ranked the World's Best City by Travel + Leisure.
- Rocky Mount, North Carolina is another HUGE engine manufacturer in the Cummins network. Located approximately 1-hour East of Raleigh, Rocky Mount is also a historically significant city, dating back to the Revolutionary War. Cummins is the second largest employer in Rocky Mount and has great opportunities for Packaging Engineers if this location is tapped for the position.
- Nashville, Tennessee is the location of the Cummins Filtration site. Materials come from all over the globe to this location, with plenty of opportunities for a Packaging Professional. This location needs no introduction as the Music Capital of the United States. If you are a country music fan, expect to see superstars walking the streets on your nights out. Not only country music, but literally every genre of music is produced, recorded and performed in this city. If you are a sports fan, there’s the NFL’s Titans Football, NHL’s Predators Hockey, The MLB’s Sounds (Triple-A Texas Ranger Affiliate) Baseball, USL’s Nashville SC Soccer and several NCAA teams to keep you on the edge of your seat.