The Finance Analyst is the lead and/or advanced analyst within one of the dynamics of the Business Services Department. The Finance Analyst exercises a high degree of independent judgment and has significant accountability for ongoing projects associated with payroll, fiscal and budget analysis, reconciliations, financial statement preparations, grant fund management, training and monitoring new hires, and other assigned specialized projects.
Essential Duties (May include, but not limited to):
- Performs complex and accurate fiscal and budget analysis, reconciliations, and postings under limited direction.
- Prepares and assists in the preparation of financial statements, reports, and project proposals. Performs audits of records and project expenditures for compliance with GAAP, Federal and State laws and regulations, and performs related work as required under limited direction.
- Performs complex professional accounting duties relating to the school system’s programs and projects.
- Performs financial analysis, studies and evaluations, establishes budget and expenditure controls, and provides technical assistance as assigned.
- Maintains the general ledger, assists, and evaluates the effectiveness of the internal control systems, bank account reconciliation, payroll, reporting of special revenue funds, performs internal audits and assists the accounting staff with other tasks as assigned.
- Performs professional accounting work of moderate difficulty to ensure compliance with GASB and GAAP and grant requirements.
- Provides direction, training and work review to assigned mentees.
- Prepares journal entries and periodic reconciliation of general ledger, journal and bank statements.
- Researches complex problems to their conclusion, makes recommendations and works with appropriate personnel to ensure resolution to such problems.
- Develops and updates instruction manuals as it relates to job duties.
- Ensures compliance with board policies, district guidelines, governing status/regulation and application professional ethical standards with regard to all financial matters.
- Assists the business office and administrative services department in various accounting procedures for assigned local school district(s).
- Assists in the development and implementation of new procedures and features to enhance the workflow of the department.
- Monitors and analyzes department work to develop more efficient procedures and use of resources while maintaining a high level of accuracy.
- Develops and updates operating and instruction manuals, as it relates to the job duties.
- Develops and conducts in-service training to provide technical assistance and guidance to department and school site personnel on budgets, fiscal accounting, and related software programs.
- Assists assigned local district staff with payroll process, accounts payable, other business office functions and as a back-up for other team members when necessary.
- Maintains a working knowledge of all accounting areas of operation within the business services department.
- Consistently models Win-Win leadership.
- Prepares data analysis/financial reports with use of financial system and spreadsheets.