Research Engineering Co-op Intern
($2,000 MOVING ALLOWANCE)
iRhythm is a leading digital healthcare company focused on the way cardiac arrhythmias are clinically diagnosed by combining our wearable bio sensing technology with powerful cloud-based data analytics and Artificial Intelligence capabilities. Our goal is to be the leading provider of ambulatory ECG monitoring for patients at risk for arrhythmias. iRhythm’s continuous ambulatory monitoring has already put over 2 million patients and their doctors on a shorter path to what they both need – answer.
About this role:
iRhythm is currently seeking an enthusiastic biomedical, electrical, or mechanical engineering student who is interested in cutting edge research in the medical device space to join our team for 6 months. This position will require you to be on-site in our San Francisco, California office for the majority of time (as long as state, local, and company guidelines deem it safe to do so), with flexibility for days of remote work as appropriate. You are excited about working on early-stage projects, are a quick-learner, and enjoy working with a highly multidisciplinary team. You recognize the need for thoughtful, data-driven decision-making, and have strong prototyping and debugging skills to support technical feasibility studies. You have excellent engineering fundamentals, love to solve problems, and are resourceful. In this role, you will contribute directly to research efforts to develop wearable bio-sensors, collaborating alongside a team of multi-disciplinary engineers. You will be treated as a regular member of the engineering team, inclusive of involvement in critical projects, expectation of high-quality deliverables, and accountability for the work you do. Our work environment is fast-paced, with a collaborative atmosphere. Most of all, we are passionate about delivering innovations that improve the quality of health care and the patient experience. We are looking for like-minded individuals to join our team today!
Specific job responsibilities include:
- Supporting early-stage research in evaluating promising technologies for incorporation into wearable sensing solutions
- Conducting user studies to collect data from sensors on human subjects
- Developing and executing test protocols to characterize research prototypes
- Identifying and applying various signal processing and analysis techniques to improve our understanding of data
- Gaining exposure to the healthcare environment, particularly evaluation of clinical needs and use cases
- Working alongside a technical team to rapidly prototype electromechanical research platforms
- Learning to be creative, flexible, and agile in a research environment at a medical device company
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s, or PhD degree in biomedical, electrical, mechanical, or a similar engineering discipline
- Familiarity with physiological parameters and sensing (e.g. ECG, pulse oximetry, blood pressure)
- Experience with a scripting language for analyzing and plotting data (Python a plus)
- Comfortable analyzing and debugging electrical circuits, with underlying strength in math and physics
- Experience with rapid prototyping, including working with evaluation kits and creating basic 3D models (SolidWorks a plus)
- Hands-on experience with lab equipment: multi-meters, oscilloscopes, power supplies, etc.
- Understanding of basic statistical principles
- Detail-oriented and diligent about maintaining a lab notebook
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, and a positive attitude
- Comfortable working with minimal supervision
What’s in it for you:
Once you hit your 90 day mark, this is position will become eligible for excellent benefits including medical, dental, and vision insurance!
iRhythm also provides additional benefits including 401K (with company match), an Employee Stock Purchase Plan, pet insurance discount, Cultural Committee/Charity events, and so much more!
FLSA Status: Co-Op
As a part of our core values, we ensure a diverse and inclusive workforce. We welcome and celebrate people of all backgrounds, experiences, skills, and perspectives. iRhythm Technologies, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer (M/F/V/D). Pursuant to San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment all qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Make iRhythm your path forward.