Budget Analyst 1
Ranked as number nine on the 2017 Forbes list of America’s Best Employers, the City of Austin has a Council-Manager form of government and employs 13.8K employees. The City Manager, appointed by the City Council, is responsible to the Council for the management of City employees, and for the administration of all City affairs.
In order to achieve the vision of making Austin the most livable city in the country, Austin’s city government’s mission is to be the best‐ managed city in the country. The City continues to implement its best‐managed mission through transparent business practices, excellence in public service, innovative leadership, and providing services that are reliable, safe, efficient, and above national standards.
The Austin metro area population is more than 2 million people. Geographically, Austin consists of approximately 326 square miles.
Austin is nationally recognized as a great place to live due in part to its diverse population, as well as its promotion of a year-round outdoor active lifestyle. Austin’s quality of life has become its biggest economic development engine, and the City’s diverse demographic structure serves to support and enrich its quality of life. Austin is fortunate to offer a host of broad-ranged educational opportunities as host to six universities, a robust community college system, and numerous other institutions of higher learning.
The Americans with Disabilities Act Office ensures City services are accessible.
The Equal Employment/Fair Housing Office promotes the fair treatment of everyone in areas of employment, housing and public accommodations.
- Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
Position Overview: The primary purpose of this position is to serve as a Budget Analyst performing a variety of budget functions involving the formulation, execution, and/or analysis of department/division budgets and economic and cost analysis studies for programs and support activities.
Budget Analyst I: $24.10 to $30.72
Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm
Telework and Alternative Work Schedules may be available
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities:
Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
- Prepares operating/grants/capital budgets with departments by basing budget on actual performance, previous budget figures, estimated revenue, expense reports and other factors.
- Monitors and tracks operating/grants/capital budgets for financial reporting.
- Develops current year estimate on department expenditures and revenue.
- Writes and reviews financial documents.
- Monitors and tracks performance measures and provides internal review and assessment of department measures to confirm data and trend accuracy and the appropriateness of the methodology used in measurement creation and tracking.
- Reviews requests for council action (RCA).
- Conducts research for special projects.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains effective communications and good working relationships with all internal and external interfaces.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of the processes and theories used for public budgetary and financial policies.
- Knowledge of business intelligence tools.
- Skill in establishing and maintaining good working relationships with other City employees and the public.
- Skill in gathering and analyzing financial data.
- Skill in effective oral and/or written communication.
- Skill in processing large volumes of numerical data.
- Skill in resolving problems or situations requiring the exercise of good judgment.
- Skill in handling multiple tasks, prioritizing, and meeting deadlines.
For more information regarding this job listing, please click the external link for the specific job duties for Budget Analyst 1. No application is complete until you have applied externally on our city webpage.